Do you think this is mean of this boys mom?

There is a boy at our daycare. He is 3 and weighs about 65 lbs. (no joke) and he pitches temper tantrums like I have never seen before. Today his mother dragged him kicking and screaming into school. Which is not easy. When she finally got him there she calmed him down by telling him he was leaving after lunch with his cousin. THIS WAS A LIE. He was NOT leaving at all. In fact he had to stay all day.

I thought this was HORRIBLE of her. She did it to make it easier for her to leave. But it makes it harder on him in the long run.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Daycare is horrible period... They are just kennels for kids and thats why my children won't ever step foot in one.
    Anonymous

• What a mom! I don't lie to my kids....how can you expect them to trust you if all you do is lie?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Ok anon. opinion NOT needed.

Our daycare is a preschool we have wonderful learning experiences there for our kids. They have playtime, computer time, music time, ect. We also have special activities like animal shows and plays come in.

So maybe your kids can just sit at home and stare at the walls and be unsocialized. Thats great. Our kids are learning and having fun doing it.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't lie to my kids. Anon 946 some people don't have a choice, please don't judge. I feel bad for a kid who is 3 and weighs 65 lbs. God help the people who have to deal with that tantrum. I got kicked in the face by a 150 lb 10 yr old girl while trying to do a strep test on her and the mom did nothing. Rediculous.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 9:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• However, not all kids that are at home are "unsocialized". That is very narrowminded also.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 9:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Just taking a jab when given a jab.

My kids stayed at home until last year. so I have done both. But she was so judgmental I felt the need to jab.
    Anonymous

• It was wrong of her to lie, but after dealing with his temper for so long, cut her a break. No momma is perfect, especially when dealing with an extremely strong-willed (ahem, bratty) child.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 9:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• LOL there's nothing wrong with daycare! My kids go to an awesome one!

As for the white lie, well sometimes ya gotta do it, and I don't think it's damaging. At that age after you leave they have fun with their friends and completely forget about it.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• A three year old KNOWS that if momma says something cool is gonna happen, it is. They don't forget. I had similar things happen with kids when I taught daycare too, and it's so hard on them! Poor babies, thinking they get to leave early and do something special and then they watch nap time roll on by and still nothing. It's hard on them, and yes, I think it was wrong of the mom. If nothing else she should have just said, I love you, I will see you after work, and then get the hell outta dodge. Crying kids are no fun for teachers, but it's a fact that the kid will calm down and probably have a good enough day to forget about mom having to leave that morning.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 10:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Lying to your child is just plain bad parenting IMO Just because it's EASY doesn't mean is the RIGHT THING to do. I'm just not "into" lying, I don't like to do it and I don't like when it's done to me. I don't do it to my SO and I don't have any plans to do it to my child. It's just so wrong, so hurtful. And it's counterproductive to building trust within a relationship, especially one as important as the one between a mother and her child.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 10:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2009