Do you think the homeless man in Chicago should be able to run for a seat on village board?

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/Suburban.Chicago.Homeless.2.954642.html

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 10:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sure, if he was willing to provide the shelter address to prove he's a resident, instead of whining about it like he did.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• absolutely. Why not? His poverty is not damning of his character. In old times, the old and homeless in the village were often revered and respected for their wisdom and hardiness.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 10:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I didn't read that he was whining. The news stated that in order for anyone to run for seat, they had to provide a residence with street and number. Since he doesn't have a residence, they may not let him run.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• They said he could run, he just has to provide a history of where he's lived, including the address of the shelter. Instead he gave them a PO box and complained that nobody else has to provide a history. He's overlooking the simple fact that anyone running who had been at their current address less than a certain amount of time would also be required to provide an address history to establish residency. They could be a millionaire who just moved into mansion A 3 months ago, they'd have to do it too. He just happens to be the only one who doesn't have a long-term established address.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• No.
    If he was able to contribute anything in the way of policy making, he'd at least be able to rent a room someplace.

He's been unsuccessful at everything so far, what kind of wisdom does he have to pass on, and he's had a lifetime to do something, anything.............
    I'm sure he deserves compassion, as does any human being, but we don't need to hand over the keys to the city.............
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• He can run as long as he can prove he meets residency, I'd think.

At least we'd know he wasn't taking payouts from anyone. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think he should! I mean so many people complain about how people that are homeless and living off assistance do not contribute anything back to society. So when one is, why not encourage it? Instead of saying to him "No you filthy homeless man, you are obviously stupid and can not bring any good ideas to the table because you can't afford a home or clean clothing." Why not encourage him and say "Heck yeah! If you want to give it a try, give it a try! If you at least take a chance maybe you can encourage others like you to want to better themselves as well!" But then again- that would take the joy of all those that want to complain about the "worthless" away from them. They might actually have to find a hobby other then "complaining about the less fortunate".
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• No you filthy homeless man, you are obviously stupid and can not bring any good ideas to the table because you can't afford a home or clean clothing."

Um, did you even read the article? Nobody said anything close to that. They said, sure thing, we'd love for you to run, as soon as you verify residency like every other candidate, and he threw a hissy instead of writing down the address of the shelter and how long he'd been there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Hey NotPanicking- Why don't you calm down? I never said that THEY said that, those are MY words as to what NOT to say. Are you always so sensitive of others peoples opinions when they are different then yours!? You totally took my comment out of context as if I pulled it from the article when it is obvious that it is not that at all. Should I change my opinion just so that it suits you? I bet that would make you feel a whole lot better about a comment left by a total stranger on a posting that really has nothing to do with you other then the fact that you left your own opinion as well.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 4:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with MustbeGrace
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2009