Do you think prescription drug manufacturer's should be allowed to advertise?

I think it encourages too much competition and drive to sell, sell, sell when drug's are advertised. Doctors receive kickbacks from these companies also, encouraging them to push their product. I also read once that they use cartoons in their ads to get children's attention to help ensure they have lifelong customers, as we tend to go to the products we have been familiar with our whole lives. I think it is sick that people's health is used in marketing schemes.

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• NO! Have you had to explain to a 6 year old what "erectile dusfunction" is??? Or IBS with constipation? It is disguisting. Plus, we pay for these commercials every time we get a prescription. Get rid of the commercials and put that money towards lowing the cost of a prescription.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• No, I do not. I agree with you 100%. I see this all the time working around Dr's and hospitals. I have actually seen the kickbacks and incentives they get. It is disgusting...
    Anonymous

• if someone isnt sick the dr wont give it to them simple as that everyone advertises even porn stores welcome to america
    Anonymous

• Nope. If you ask your doctor for drugs, doesn't that just make him a pusher?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• OMG...NO. I think this kind of regulation would go a long way in making health care more affordable!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• No.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• okay i lol'd when i read the anonymous answer that says a doctor wont give it to someone who isnt sick. maybe a GOOD doctor wouldnt...but obviously good doctors dont had out RX just for the kickback....but A LOT of doctors do. I agree 100% tanya!
    charlierae

Answer by charlierae at 11:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Maybe it should be like cigarettes and only in certain media? When was the last time you saw a cigarette commercial? When was the last time you saw an ED or Abilify commercial?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I've worked in many doctor offices, and NONE got kickbacks from drug companies. However, I don't like the advertisement.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Well I'm going to go ahead and be the odd one out. I like that we get to have a say in what we take and we get to be a part of our health care decisions. Advertisements allow you to know what to expect and what to research futher before going to the doctor. Im not one of those people who assumes that my dr. always knows whats best. I like being able to do my own research before hand.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2009