WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE??

BETWEEN GOSSIP AND SHARING INFORMATION?
WHERE DO YOU DRAW THE LINE. WHAT IS? WHAT ISN'T?
WHAT ABOUT SHARING YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS?

JESUSCARES4YOU2

Asked by JESUSCARES4YOU2 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Depends on the situation I am in and the place where I am. On here I am full out. That's the WHOLE point of here. At family functions a little more broad...no need for drama there. And it stays out of the work place...when I worked. No need to get fired if my politics don't match the bosses!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i t hink if you have any sort of conscience at all, you will know when what is coming out of your mouth is gossip, or not. most people know when they are doing something they shouldn't do. i can share my political views without irritating another person with differing views... unlike some we've seen here on CM..however, if i know the person to be an extremist, i don't bring up anything politcal..i'm not a fighter, and i don't care to reverse someone's leanings.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I wonder about this myself. I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in a while. I was surprised to discover she was pregnant. She was surprised I didn't know. Turns out ALL of our mutual friends knew. I asked one why she didn't tell me, and she said she didn't want to gossip. How does telling me our mutual friend is pregnant = gossip?

Another friend of mine was 8 months pregnant and belonged to a bowling league. She lost the baby and missed the weekly bowling date. Her SIL was in the same league, and didn't tell anyone. When my friend showed back up, everyone assumed she had the baby and congratulated her. It was very painful and awkward. She asked her SIL why she hadn't told anyone, and her SIL said she didn't want to gossip. That's not gossip, that's information!

If I tell you my friend's mother died, am I gossiping? If I mention someone is getting married or divorced, am I gossiping?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• To me, sharing information is sharing the truth. IE -- on the news today this and this and this happened. Gossip is opinions, IE telling someone that you think someone else is doing something or another from hear-say.
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 3:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• This site is 2 talk about anything u please its a place 2 relax and have decent civil conversation and debate w/ others mom its 4 those that have been w/ their child most of the day and now they want 2 talk 2 grown people there is no line here of what you can and can't talk about.
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 4:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I spend more time on here because I CAN'T get into civil debates with extended family members--too many bleeding hearts! lol Sooo, I get it out of my system, and are able to validate my thoughts/opinions based on the responses I get! lol

The rule of thumb I've always gone by is: If you don't know the beliefs/feelings/views of the people you're associating with, DON'T discuss money, religion or politics--otherwise your certain to offend!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I start with the question, is this information true? If it is true, then I ask, is it helpful? Is sharing this in information going to build someone up, or tear someone else down?
    Bluebonnet72

Answer by Bluebonnet72 at 8:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• If its false or hurtful, I call it gossip. Just because its true doesn't mean it can't be! I mean "so and so had sex." in high school or middle school can hurt, true or not. Normally if I don't believe it, or if I think it will hurt someone I don't spread it. I may talk about it with my husband...but seeing as he isn't a social butterfly hes ok to talk to LOL!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I'm not a gossiper. News/politics wise, I don't pass things along unless I've researched to see if it's actually true.

I'll share my political opinion but unlike many others, I don't feel you are "retarded" or and "idiot" if you don't agree with me.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I share factual information, I do not gossip. If someone proves my information to be wrong I have no problem apologizing for misleading information.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2009