Propping Bottle

Ok I got a serious question and not asking for rude answers. OK if im busy doing something i'll lay my baby beside me and prop her bottle up while I finish what im doing. Ok sooo many people have told me thats not good for her because she can get ear infections and choke. Ok the choking i understand but im right there so thats not a problem.. But I think propping the bottle up is just like breastfeeding. If you think about it the baby is laying down sucking just like she is when she's sucking on her bottle. I dont lay her on her back I lay her on her side and put the bottle on a blanket in front of her so she's face to face with it. How is this bad? Just my thoughts.. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did it too. My child never got ear infections. You just have to keep an eye on them. Don't go to far or leave them without checking in every few minutes.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't take but a second for a baby to choke. Also I have read that in SOME cases it does cause ear infections. Better to be safe than sorry.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I did it too with no choking or side affects. But you'll get a barrage of people telling you not to do it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I jsut don't understnad what is so damned important that you would even CHANCE the baby having ill effects. If you dont' have the time to take care of a baby, then don't have one! Feeding is when baby bonds. How dare a lazy mom compare propping a disgusting bottle to the wholesome perfection of breastmilk. Just take care of your kid!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I did it too, especially while I was driving in the car. I didn't have any problems with ear infections or choking, but I can see how it's possible. I can see ear infections or choking especially if a baby is put to bed with a bottle. I actually would prop while she was in my arms, to have my hands free to keep my son away. lol.

As for the pp, that's just rude and unecessary. Give your opinion, but no one will recieve it when it's given that way.
    maggerralla

Answer by maggerralla at 11:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I guess some people are a little crabby tonight. Sorry only perfect moms like navy mom are aloud to call the shots! What if you were single and had triplets? Since I was not able to produce enough milk for my child I'm going to go now and feed her one of those "disgusting bottles she speaks of...Maybe she can decide if I should have a baby too....
    Anonymous

• I did it all the time. I would prop with a small pillow. neither one had ear infections at all. I had to use the "disgusting bottle" because I could not produce milk either. It didn't mean I was not lazy nor couldn't take care of my child either.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• LOL I must be an AWFUL mother... I breastfd my son until he was 7 months old and when he was on bottles if he got up in the middle of the night I'd take a stuffed animal and prop the bottle up and go back to bed... GUESS WHAT he's fine... 2 next month happy and unchoked as can be... He also didn't get 1 single ear infection until AFTER i took bottles away at 12mo and he was on sippy cups... He was in the room with me (actually still is) to sleep and my husband is the lightest sleeper ever so I never worried... lil miss navy mom up there is just being rude... i enjoy ignoring rude people... it irritates them bc they arent in control...
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• "But I think propping the bottle up is just like breastfeeding. "

It's not. Milk drips constantly from the bottle, so that's where you get the risks. Baby has to compress the nipple to get breastmilk. And even then...baby can choke! It happened to me.

Please, don't prop. You don't want to go through what I did.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I prop my sons he well not let you hold him when he eats so i ask my doc. and he told to keep doing what i doing he is fine
    sarah969

Answer by sarah969 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2009