Is there a governing body that determines appropriate commercial advertising content for children?

I have complained to CBS twice regarding the content of their TV commercials during "primetime" and "daytime" hours. I go out of my way to ensure that my children only view age appropriate shows, but sometimes the commercials shown at the breaks are very graphic, violent and occasionally sexual in nature.

I have looked online for some kind of governing body or organization that could help me with this concern, but to no avail. If anyone has any helpful information it would be much appreciated.

chennechic

Asked by chennechic at 10:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• That is really interesting, do a Google search on the WEB or just find some phone numbers and start calling them, that's what I do when I want answers.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have been concerned about the same thing. Especially advertisements for pg-13 movies and above targeted at smaller children. I don't know a single 13 year old who would be caught dead eating a cutesy meal out of a box at a fast food place but "Batman: Dark Knight" toys and "Transformers" movie toys are given with the meals for little kids. With careful advertising and pushing boundaries little by little and year by year, they have even convinced many otherwise intelligent parents that these movies are perfectly fine for small children.
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 12:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• point is...we are being manipulated!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 12:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with you. I try to be careful what we watch, but commercials are worse than the program and have no ratings for content. Same with movies. We only take 7yr old son to G rated movie, but film trailers are things I wouldn't dream of taking him to see. AGH!
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:05 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I believe that the FCC is the body in charge of monitoring/governing content in children's commercials. Remember, though, that daytime/primetime TV is geared toward adults, not children, unless it's on a Children's Network. CBS and other stations air what they are PAID to air - so for them, your best bet would be to essentially boycott those stations who air things you find inappropriate. I believe the FCC monitors the content and you would contact them to complain about the actual content and understand their regulations regarding content at different times of the day.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:07 AM on Mar. 11, 2009