do you participate in walks for certain charities or organizations? Would you be interested in doing a walk for Autism if there was one in your neighborhood or community?

There is a Walk for a cure Penn State University and Autims Speaks have been doing this walk for 4 years now and I am wondering if anyone else participates in walks to raise money for research!

MYnKURTMOM

Asked by MYnKURTMOM at 10:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• If we had one in our town I would do it. I love trying to help especially when it's for a good cause!
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Autism is a great cause and I think people would participate in my town. I support someone from Rwanda and that is my charity right now but I'd be open to it in the future.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I've done breast cancer walks and will be doing an autism walk next month.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would.
    N17

Answer by N17 at 11:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• if I had the time or the stamina I would!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think that would be wonderful
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yes we have one here in Portland, Oregon. I know this may sound strange but we are not walking this year. I will sponsor another walker instead. My son is on the Autism Spectrum. It was great when he was younger because he could see other kids similar to him. We have ours at the local amusement park and then the kids ride the rides. The exposure is not a big as when we had it downtown. More fun however. The reason we are not attending is because I am trying to have my son lose the Autism label. We are not ashamed, just want him to rely on his gifts not limitations. He was using it for his advantage if you know what I mean. He has come so far and I want him to be himself, not a label. Yet, When he was younger it was a great local resource for our family. Our walk a thon helps the local Autism society, giving help to local families and allow kids to attend special summer camps. Not to benefit research or Autism Speaks However.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 1:05 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I have three children with Autism i walk in the ASA (autism society of America) walk every year. I walk to raise awareness and create acceptance for my children. I would not EVER walk for Autism Speaks (they spend NONE of their money helping families of children with autism) There is no cure for autism, and I personally dont want to cure my children i love them for who they are, I do however want to improve their functioning and help them to be better, more productive members of society but i would not risk losing who they are for a cure. Acceptance is the Cure

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Anonymous 10:46
    I wish you would have posted with your screen name. I totally agree with you. I am looking for acceptance not a cure for my son. He is perfect just the way he is. I always tell people that while he has had a difficult road, he has come so far. If I wished the Autism away. a part of him would leave with it. I could not bear to lose any of him. He is my amazing, loving gift. I do not support Autism Speaks either. They act like our kids need fixing , they take it so much money and never prove what they do with it. What kind of research do they support? They do not offer any support for famiies who have to face the emotional and fincial hardships that autism can bring.

I ask people to support local Autism charities. Many offer support, therapies, play groups and even camps for children like ours.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 2:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yes i would! i dont participate in most walks but i would for Autisim! ...There is not a lot of awareness in my community.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2009