How do I get my 1year old off the bottle need help what did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my local wic office recommends having a "bottle fairy" come she comes and takes the bottles away and leaves a really cool toy for big kids behind and perhaps a treasure chest full of new big kid cups. They also reccomend starting the transition early at 6 months they are already telling us to practice with the sippy cup but if you missed that boat you will just have to ride it out hun
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• buy one of those sippy cups that have a soft spout like Nuby. My son found transition easier because it had the feel of a nipple. after we had eventually gone off the bottle and he was fully on the cup, about a month later i changed it to the regular harder sippy cup spout. hope this helps!
    MissMelissa808

Answer by MissMelissa808 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I let mine self wean. I've never seen a child in school with a bottle. If you feel you must take it away. One the the easiest things to do is just put plain water in the bottle and milk and juices in a sippy cup.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• her birthday was the last day I allowed her 2 have a bottle the next day was all sippy cups (she was using sippy cups during the day 2 months prior) she never complained or fussed or asked where her bottle was she was fine its like she never realized the change that happened
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 1:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I took it away during the day, but only used it with water and at nap and night and then I started to give a sippy of water at night and bed instead made the transition a little easier for me. My baby was off entirely by 18 months
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 6:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My daughter loved her bottles, but she was around 17 months old and I thought it was time to get rid of them. We did it slowly. I started her out with a sippy for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And a bottle in between and for bed. We also went for the soft spout cups. She did really well with that and then one day I said enough is enough and bagged up all the bottles. For her it was out sight out of mind!! She knew where they were located in the cupboard and the next time I showed her it was full of new sippies! She's been using them ever since. Now she uses the hard spout cups as well, but they dont recommend they stay on them long either. They would rather a regular open mouth cup, but I say one step at a time! Good luck!
    madisonsmom7197

Answer by madisonsmom7197 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Throw out the bottles. If they are not there, you can't use them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I took one bottle away a week until they were gone. replaced with a sippy cup. They were gone by one year. DD didn't fight. But she also didn't drink as much fromt he cup as she did the bottle. But she got over it. I was lucky that she didn't fight it. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My DD was NOT interested in the sippy cup until I took her bottles away. When she was 8 months, I simply threw every single one away. She had no option of a bottle, and I put her formula in the sippy just like I would in the bottle. She'll be one on Saturday and she drinks everything out of the sippy..... switching over wasn't an issue!!!
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We introduced the sippy and as soon as they could drink out of it, that was it...no more bottles. We didn't give them an option.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2009