child falling asleep with tv on

My four year old will only fall asleep with her t.v. on. I have a one year old that falls asleep better, because NOW I know that they need to soothe themselves to sleep, so that's what I do with her. I feel it's too late with my four year old. I never made her fall asleep on her own. I would always breastfeed her to sleep when until she was 16 months and then gave her milk in a sippy cup and now she can not soothe herself. I finally got rid of the milk but not the t.v. I feel horrible because I know it is my fault that she needs a crutch. How do I get her to sleep without the t.v.? Please help.

dallas105

Asked by dallas105 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest usually has to sleep with music on he is 4 AND a light on, so i put the closet light on usually, bc a night light just wont do for him.

Im not sure what to say, all i can say is that if you cut it out it will get worse before better, if you really want to, you are going to have to just have a few nights of her calming herself to sleep, put a cd player on, musical night light or something, and make sure your one year old cant hear her crying, she will probaly get up several times a night for i dont know how long, but thats the price you pay. Good Luck
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• ummmmmm geezzz i thought i was the only one with this problem....glad to know im not.....i should be asking the same question..i really dont know what to do either my 3 &1/2 yr old sleeps with the tv as well..hmmmm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Me too. My second falls asleep on her own but my first is addictied to having it on, even if she is not in the same room. She does not even sleep in her room anymore since I unhook the equipment at night. SHe sneaks in to the LR and has it on all night, even infomercials. Crazy Kid!
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 6:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My kids used to watch a movie to fall asleep too. I hated it. They used to watch them on their own portable dvd players. We moved and when we did I left the dvd players behind. I told them at our new house we couldn't have them. i started reading them 2 stories each to help them fall asleep. Now they go to sleep faster, and it's much better. It wasn't that hard for them to get used to either, they were actually excited
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• i have same problem with a 3 yr old! best way to turn of tv is to just turn it off,no if ands or butts! its working so
    mamacita4two

Answer by mamacita4two at 11:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yeah, just stop turning it on for them to go to sleep. Don't backslide, stick to turning it off. They'll be fine after a couple of nights.
    I babysat my son's cousin (3 year old) who was used to sleeping with the tv on, and we don't do that in our house. So it took a couple of nights for him to get used to it, there were tantrums, but he was okay after that. He stayed with us a month and when he went back home, he didn't need to tv to go to sleep anymore. His dad was happy about that.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 1:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Take away the TV!
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Take away the t.v.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2009