Do you think that murder and mass murder stories should be banned from the news?

Do you ever notice how mass killing sprees or intended mass killing sprees happen in clumps? A pastor was shot by a random man that planned to kill more people. Today another man kills 10. School shootings happen in clumps. The media glorifies these events and gives these sick people the attention they deserve. If we didn't give them this sort of attention, would it happen as often?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The media glorifies these events

That's the problem. Not the fact that they are covered, but in how they are covered. A mass murderer is as likely to be profiled on TMZ or Inside Edition as they are on CNN. Dr. Phil and Katie Couric will start bidding wars over interview rights with everyone from victim families to prosecuting attorneys. And the 24 hr news, in their desperation to fill time, will run the story ad nauseum, then bring in pundits to psychoanalyze, and then bring in more pundits to analyze whether competitor stations are glorifying the crime. Chandra Levy (and Gary Condit) received 3 solid months of 24/7 coverage on 3 news stations. It only stopped because of 9!11. Had the planes never hit, the Levy coverage likely would have continued until Elizabeth Smart's disappearance.

News coverage doesn't need to stop, murder as entertainment does.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• i do not think that anyone decides "hey I wanna be on tv... I'll go kill someone.."
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Well, I would like to know if there is some crazy person on the loose, wouldn't you??
    Anonymous

• Yes, I agree I want to know if there is a killing rampage going on!
    Mama2Mase

Answer by Mama2Mase at 11:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Actually ZaTa-they do...talking about they want to go down in history for killing the most people, etc. If it was local, then yes, I would like to be alerted but to display it on every news channel etc is contributing I feel.
    Anonymous

• Idk sometimes too much time is spent on some stories I guess.I see your point and it is true with some of these wack jobs that is what it is about....becomming famous even if it is for being a wack.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If you don't like what's on TV, turn it off. It's called freedom of speech. The news has a right to share it, you have a right to turn it off.

I don't want government censorship. I do want turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce right now.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• That would be violating the constitution in so many ways

Amendment I
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 12:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Loving-I think you are an angry person that thinks no one's opinions are as good as yours. Lighten up...good lord.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• trev-no really? It's a general question. I'm not asking for it to happen...it's a thought. I was asking if you think that's what contributes to it happening in clumps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2009