Help! Flying with a baby

We're flying from California to Maine next week with our 9 month old and wanted any advice you have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I flew with my baby when she was 9 months from rochester,mn to phoenix alone. It was a long journey and her first flight trip. I am not sure if you are going alone..but assuming if were travelling alone, I have these tips. Prefer to use a stroller with car seat which can be checked at the gate..you can just walk in with the baby from there. Carry things at the minimum..like your handbag, diaper bag..which are essential and can be easily accommodated in the stroller itself while walking through the airport. Have the diapers changed at the airport restroom than on the plane(unless you need to have them changed there). Along with milk you can also carry a banana and finger foods like puffs. A small handy toy which your baby has not seen/used before, you wil always find lot of magazines around to giver her to play. Babies tend to sleep on the plane..you can have a shawl in case if its cold inside. Wish you a happy journey!!
    revathy

Answer by revathy at 10:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• have a bottle ready for take off to help with ear popping (or give them a paci if they use one) I found cuddling with them was nice (and saves on buying another seat)
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• make sure u get the ok from your doctor. i know some airlines require at doctor note but im not sure at what age they do
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 11:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• -If you fly with them in a carrier, you must use an airline approved seat as well as purchase them a plane ticket.
    -If you fly with the infant on your lap, you do not have to purchase a ticket for them. You must bring their birth certificate though so that they can verify that they are under 24 months and issue an infant/mother boarding pass.
    -The airline will check your carseat and base and most provide plastic to cover it to keep it safe. The baby gets two pieces of luggage just like everyone else (carseat/base is part of that).
    -I "wore" my baby with a Baby Bjorn carrier. It helped keep my hands free and him safe. They'll let you go through security without having to remove the child from the carrier. You must take your child out of the carrier during take-off and landing. Some carriers claim that they are able to be used on airplanes but this is against all airline regulations and they will not allow you to do it.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• -google the airline you are using to find out any tips or additional requirements they may have.
    -breast feeding shortly before take off, as well as sucking a bottle or pacifier can help with ear popping.
    -Get a ziplock bag and put 1-2 diapers in it with some wipes and keep it in the seat back pocket for easy access instead of clunking around a diaper bag.
    -The baby does not count as a carry on :-) You can still bring your normal carry-on bags.
    -You can ask to pre-board because of your little one. They may allow you to do it. Every passenger that is pre-boarding is allowed to have two attendants (which would be you and dad) with them. If not, you may be eligible for family boarding which for airlines that do not use assigned seats, occurs after groups "business" and groups "a" have boarded.
    -Bring noise-free entertainment too!

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I traveled with an 11 week old and didn't have to have a doctor's note. I used South West airline BTW.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• my 3 mo old flew just a month ago from ohio to las vegas and will be going back in 2 weeks. after panicking about how to handle things, he slept the whole time. go figure. first, with take off and landing - have him suck on a pacifier, drink from bottle or if hes sleeping - cup your hands over his ears. for your babys age - toys and things that keep him busy. I would call your airline because i use southwest and if there are open seats i can take his carseat and base and put him in a seat for no cost. strollers are free though them too. dr notes are for infants under 3 weeks. good luck!
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 1:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2009