Getting a dog.

How soon is too soon to get a dog? My husband and I want a dog for the house we will be getting soon but with the baby on the way I am a little worried about taking care of a brand new baby, and a brand new puppy. Puppies are alot of work, but is it as bad as I think it will be? Please let me know. Thanks!!!

luvin_lil_kicks

Asked by luvin_lil_kicks at 11:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Pets

• We recently have gone through this same dilemma, and puppies do take a lot of work. They do get up in the middle of the night to go potty, eat, and play. They are just like a newborn. And they require training. We decided to hold off on any pet until Kaylee is 2. By that time she will understand not to pull on their ears, tail, mouth, try to gouge their eyeballs, or anything of that nature. A young dog will not know how to respond to that type of abuse, and is more likely to bite as a reaction.

Anyways, our decision is to wait until at least 2 years of age. Good Luck with whatever you decide!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I got my older dog from a shelter. He is already potty trained, sleeps well, don't have to worry about him in my house. I would suggest that to you. When we first thought about it, of course, we went for the puppy... that lasted one week. I couldn't handle all the peeing and pooping in my house and the whining at night. Trust me, you will have your hands full with that baby. Get an older, already trained dog from a no kill shelter. They can even help you find one that meets your family's needs.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• OMG!!!NEVER GET A PUPPY WITH AN INFANT!!!!YOU CAN PUT A DIAPER ON YOUR CHILD BUT NOT THE PUP.I went through it when my son was a year old and it was hell.Training a pup is harder than a baby,WAIT!WAIT!WAIT,WAY TO STRESSFUL!Focus on the baby first,it's only one time!You can always get pups.....Enjoy your babies!!!!Life is too short,they grow too fast!!!!!!!PUPS are always around BUT NOT YOUR BABY !!!!GIVE THEM ALL NOW,PUPS LATER!
    tclw

Answer by tclw at 12:45 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Get an older dog from a friend or a shelter. They're time tested, and sometimes, mom-approved.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 7:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I don't agree with tclw at all.  I brought home a new puppy when my son was only a few days old.  It was extra work for me, but I wouldn't have change a thing.  My son and the pup have grown up together, it's been a lot of fun.  There were times when I wanted pull my hair out, but it was worth it in the end.
    If you think you can keep up with a new baby and with a new pup, then go for it.  We don't know how much you can personally handle.  If you think it would be too much to deal with, then don't do it.  Puppies are a lot of work, but it was nothing I couldn't handle with being a new mom at the same time.  Also, I am a single mom so I had no help at all.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Puppies are like a baby. They need and want all of your attention. Unless you are at home all the time to train the puppy and as long as you can give the baby and puppy equal attention then go for it. I can tell you I could barely keep up with my two year old and a new puppy. So we had to get rid of the puppy. But he has a good home now with an older couple who had time to pay attention to him and train him.
    Anonymous

• I got my dog when I was 4 months pregnant and she was only 8 weeks old. She was housebroken by the time I had my baby and she is great with my daughter. Even the first day I came home from the hospital, she was definitely curious, as I expected, but now she is very protective over my daughter. If you have the time to keep up with a baby and a dog, I definitely recommend it. If you don't get one now, it may be a few years before you have time to keep up with both. Good luck!
    angelsweet84

Answer by angelsweet84 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It really comes down to how much time you're willing to put into having a puppy with a newborn. It's A LOT of work and its not fair to the dog if you dont have the time or energy to give it. Dogs need to be potty trained, manner trained and NEED exercise EVERY DAY. So if you have the energy, go for it. If not, please wait for the dog's sake.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I suggest waiting until the baby is old enough to move away from a puppy if need be. Puppies teethe and usually do so on soft things. Baby's legs and arms are an easy target.
    equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 5:35 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I'd suggest taking care of your infant. Puppies are a lot of work. You will need your rest after having the baby. Infants have their own schedules and puppies should have a regular schedule. Potty training is the biggest challenge. Pups need to be taken out every 30 minutes at the beginning. I'd wait until the child is older. IMHO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 AM on Mar. 12, 2009