What is a digital Vaginal exam?

I always go to the gyno for my yearly and never heard of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Since a finger is also called a digit, I'd guess it's when they do the internal exam. Not the pap with the speculum, but the actual physical exam.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Canadianmom1974 is on the right track.
    A digital exam is when the gynecologist inserts one of their digits (finger) into your anus and a couple of digits into your vagina. I believe they are checking that the wall between the two is intact and possibly for any other things. Before you lie back on the table for the exam to begin, ask the gyno specifically what it entails and why it is done.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Oh yes, and the other part of the gyno exam if for them to insert a couple of fingers into your vagina and press firmly on your abdomen with their free hand. This is an external/internal examination of internal organs that they cannot view during a pap exam. They want to check the location of your uterus, its size, and the placement of your fallopian tubes and ovaries.
    Be sure to breathe deeply, relax as best as you can, and think of something else while this is occurring.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2009