Tough Decision

I have a 14 yr old cat, who recently got sick, and lost a control down there.(poops drop out unintentionally) At the same time my DD 4 yrs old got diagnosed with Asthma + cat allergy. Though her allergy is not an asthma trigger, I still have to separate them. Our cat loves to be around people. But right now, she's locked in one room, and people rarely can go in there. We no longer can provide her a loving home. However, because of her health problem, there's no chance for her to find another home. Though she's not well, I don't think she's in pain, just a discomfort. I just don't know what is the best for her. Do I decided that just because she's not in an extreme pain, I don't care about the quality of her life? But although she's not in pain, do I put her down because.... because what? What do you think is the best for my cat?

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 12:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I wouldn't be able to put down my cat just because she's a little sick. It really is awful that she has to be locked away, but I understand the circumstances. See if there's a way you can make her feel more at home maybe in your bedroom alone....good luck, it isn't easy
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 1:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• no you shouldnt put her down for that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I would take her to the vet and see if they can't diagnose a problem. They will be able to tell you if the problem is fixable, or if it's something that cannot be treated. If it cannot be treated, I would have her put down (as sad as it may be for you). I wouldn't want a pet that I care about to be in any discomfort. Please, take the cat to the vet.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 10:30 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Thanks, guys. I already talked to the vet, and no, it's not fixable, and the vet already told me that we might have to make a decision whether we'd like to live like this or not. I just can't make a decision. It's not helping that my daughter has asthma. I know my cat is not happy, and seems like there's no way out... I wish I could see a sign...
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 2:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• When my cat got that old she started having problems too. She didn't have bladder or bowel control. She started losing her senses. You know like hearing and seeing well. We figured that it would be better for her to end her suffering and we had her put down. I just couldn't stand to see her so miserable. Hope everything works out for u
    Anonymous

• Sadly with so many healthy animals waiting to be adopted it makes it harder to adopt animals with special medical needs. With that said it is a tough decision to make. My personal opinion is this: If you can not rehome the cat in a home where he will be taken care of properly then your only responsible solution is euthanasia. Anyone person that attacks you for making this decision is heartless and should never own an animal. The toughest choices in life are not always the easiest to make. It is better to know that the he will go on to greener pastures then to suffer in a home that can not deal with or take care of his needs. Think it through and weigh your options carefully. In the end you will do right by all in involved.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 5:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009