Major Congestion

Any solutions? I heard a little saline solution...but I'd rather not give that to him if I can avoid it... he goes for his checkup on Thurs so I'm not worried, just wondering if there was anything I could do to relieve him in the meantime....

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 12:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should definitely do the saline solution especially made for babies called Little Noses. Also you can get a humidifier or vaporizer to loosen everything. You can take him into the bathroom and sit with him and use it as a steam room so it can also loosen everything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We have a vaporizor, but we also elevate one side of my son's mattress when he is congested so it can drain.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 12:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Saline is nothing but salt water. It is not considered medication and is perfectly safe. I have also heard it suggested to squirt breast milk into their noses if you do not want to try saline. Elevate his mattress, let him have nap time in his swing or carrier so the gunk can drain. Use the saline to loosen things and then suck the snot out of his nose with an aspirator (gross, yes but it helped my son a lot). Humidifiers are a must (do not add any medications, just water). Depending on the age, babies are too young for Vicks. Tylenol can be used for discomfort relief.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:47 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• my son is the king of congestion! :) anyways, i use the 'little noses' saline spray (little more expensive but is much easier on them and you) and i bought a battery-operated aspirator - which is WAY nicer on them than that powerful suck from the old-fashioned rubber balls (and if it starts to detect pressure it shuts off) i also used a humidifier but it didnt make a difference with him. OH and DO NOT use tylenol as said above on little ones under 3 mo - hard on their kidneys :) good luck!
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 1:13 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• A cool air mist humidifier is better than the warm ones. We just got over congestion ourselves, little noses & the battery operated aspirator are a must. I also let him sleep in his boppy so he could be elevated. In reality that's all you can do & all your doctor will tell you to do.
    suej27

Answer by suej27 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2009