MY TEN MONTH OLD SON IS NOT EATING ANY SOLIDS AT ALL, HE ONLY WANTS HIS MILK. ITS SO EXPENSIVE FOR ME AND I'M WORRIED THAT HE MIGHT NOT BE GETTING HIS NECESSARY NUTRIENTS. I'VE TRIED OVER AAND OVER, HE PUSHES IT AWAY AND GETS UPSET. PLEASE HELP ME

melissa120

Asked by melissa120 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If youre giving him formula and he is resisting foods and weighs enough I wouldn't worry about it. But make sure he isn't getting junk food and carbonated/sugary beverages to fill his tummy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Relax! They don't need solids until after their first year. If he is drinking adequate amount of formula, he is getting everything he needs. The solids are pretty much practice. Sure, some babies wean themselves off the bottle and prefer solids. That's fine, too. Either way, they will get what they need. Just keep offering the solids, but don't force him to eat it. Have you tried finger foods like gerber puffs, cheerios, bits of cheese, and whatnot? I know my son is tired of jarred food and foods that I mash for him. He wants what I have. I don't allow him to eat much solids, I prefer him to get all of his nutrients from formula for the first year. I treat solids as 'playtime' and 'practice'. If you can't afford the formula, maybe you should look into WIC, or some sort of assistance to help with the formula costs. Or switch to the store brand formula. Much cheaper, and it has the same nutrients.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:52 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree that the store-brand formula can save you bunches, and if you qualify for WIC that could help you out, too. He definitely needs it til 12 months. You can start solids to get him used to them, but it's kind of just "taste-testing" right now, to introduce him to different flavors. He is getting his nutrients, don't worry about that, but I hear you on "it's expensive", but it won't be for much longer. Good luck to you!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• you could always put some baby cereal into a bottle with milk to get him used to a new texture.
    luvMIIsk8rBoi

Answer by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 1:16 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• both my girls have always been great eaters, but when my oldest daughter was about 11 months old, she suddenly stopped eating solids, and only wanted the bottle. she wouldn't even take her sippy cup anymore! i linked this to a couple different things >afterward, of course!< first, my second daughter was born when my oldest was only ten months old, so that may have been her reaction to jealousy. second, she got the rest of her teeth in between 11 months and 14 months, and during that entire period would not eat a thing! she even lost a little weight. but she's back to eating solids again, and has gained back more than she lost.

point being, maybe your son is going through that serious teething stage where chewing hurts, or maybe his routine's been upset by something and so now he's reverting back to his securities, doing what comforts him. if he's never really eaten solids before, then maybe that change is what it is.
    mommyramos21

Answer by mommyramos21 at 2:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Hang in there! He probably just needs a little more time. Try to get the book MY CHILD WON’T EAT! HOW TO PREVENT AND SOLVE THE PROBLEM, by Carlos Gonzales, M.D.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• When you say he only wants his milk, are you talking cows milk or do you mean formula? As long as he is drinking his formula, he doesn't need solids until 12 months. I agree that you can look into WIC to help with costs. Believe it of not, they have a rather high income limit to qualify for it.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2009