Do you think the phrase "you are a product of your environment" is a coverup for poor behavior?

If not, why? If so, why? I have heard this used over and over again for bad behavior...never for good.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes it is a cover-up and cop-out. Nature and Nurture BOTH contribute to how a person behaves. To completely write of "nature" as well as that person's own ability to tell the difference between right and wrong and completely blame it on "nuture" alone is wrong.

From a Psychological prespective, I believe there are three things that govern who we are and our behavior. Genetics (Nature), Our environment and things we're exposed to (physically/chemically/psychologically (Nuture), AND our own moral inteligence and general intelect determine what we do. We are never 100% excused for poor behavior based on just one of those things because all are in play. You always have the ability to say "no" despite what genes you were given and what environment you were raised in.

There are very few cases, mostly feral and severely abused and neglected children that I would absolve of that or someone mentally disabled.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:40 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I've heard it used for both bad and good.

I guess it could be a cover up, or an excuse. But your environment does have an impact on you, whether you realize it or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think that would only apply if someone were using it as an excuse for their own stupidity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2009