My sister wants to be in the delivery room with me...

I think she would be wonderful support, she and I get along really well, and she has three young kids so she will know what's going on, BUT what are some ground rules or things I should think about and talk with her about before it all goes down? When I had my son I was all alone, so I don't really know what to expect.

kitten_shuga

Asked by kitten_shuga at 12:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Talk to her about what kind of things you want during labor and delivery.

Are you wanting a natural birth?
    Do you want her to help speak up when something suggested is against your preferances?
    Do you want her to help you into different positions or help support you to squat when it's time to push?
    If you get in the shower..do you want her to come into the bathroom to support you or do you prefer privacy?

Things like this would be things to think about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• well what do you want her role to be?
    She can be support, picture taker, the person to make sure your needs are met, personal massager lol, what ever you want her to do just ask her odds are she will be ready and willing to help in whatever way she can
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I had my hubby and mother in the Delivery room with me.

It's hard to predict how you'll act once you're in the moment.

Most likely you won't even realize who is around, you'll only be thinking of pushing the bun out. At least, that's how it was for me.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 1:03 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• i had my hubby,mom,2 sisters in there with me lol they were making fun of me cause i was making funny faces when i was pushing now its my turn to see my sister give birth ;-)
    proud_mum_mum

Answer by proud_mum_mum at 1:05 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think you should think of her too. Thank her for being supportive. A sister is a friend forever! No ground rules needed she is your sister except maybe privacy of no camera ect.,
    Make your sister a thank-you gift now for volunteering her time away from her life to be a help to you send her flowers b4 you give birth as a thank you!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I would be appreciative but your the one giving birth and your needs come first. Ground rules are an excellant idea and your smart for thinking of it now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Mar. 11, 2009