Mirena implant...anyone have it?

I'm getting the Mirena implant in two weeks and was wondering if anyone has had any major side effects? Also, how long did the appointment take to implant it?

itsaboy1208

Asked by itsaboy1208 at 1:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have it but have been debating....scared a little and don't know about the weight gain that comes with it....any ideas?
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 1:13 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Just got it today, so I cant give you side effects. But It only took 10-15 mins to do it. Take a few motrin before you go. And expect cramping and bleeding after. You could always get the one with no hormones. less side effects.
    luvMIIsk8rBoi

Answer by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 1:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• ha, id rather gain a little weight than getting prego again and i didn't know they had a 'no hormone' version...
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 1:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I've had Mirena for over two years now and I LOVE it! No ill side effects at all. Takes about 15 minutes to implant. Take a few tylenol or Motrin before you go to reduce cramping. I don't recommend the Paragard (hormone-free intra-uterine contraceptive) to anyone because they are copper. Copper itself may not be harmful to the body, but there is more of a chance of it puncturing your uterus. Also, the Paragard is only 99.4% effective, while the Mirena is 99.8%. Not a big difference, no, but big enough that I wouldn't chance it!
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 2:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• i just got it friday and i had severe cramping, lite bleeding, and seems as if my face is breaking out! My hubby says he can feel it the day after i got it but today he didnt(tmi). Make sure they cut the string short enough! i just cant do this pregnancy thing again so i'll keep it in!
    sunshyne251

Answer by sunshyne251 at 3:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• BE CAREFUL. Honestly, I have two friends now that have had them with bad results. One of them in less than 24 hours it moved from her uterus into her stomach and she had to have surgery to get it out (not covered by her insurance since the mirena wasn't).

The other friend still got pregnant on it, but it was eptopic. And the baby miscarried. I'm not trying to scare you- just be very careful if you get one and watch for signs of any little discomfort. Because all my friend felt who had it lodged in her stomach was "a funny tummy ache" but her husband had a feeling they needed to get her back in to the doctor. She was lucky he did.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• had a friend who had it, severe anxiety attacks, depression etc... look up side effects there are a lot of complaints on it. but to each her own. i personally dont want things put in me that arent supposed to be there. jmo
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 10:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I've had it in since Jan 20th. Only took about 15 mins. Very uncomfortable. But now everything is fine. I bled for like 3 weeks then it stopped. Just had bad cramps really. But IMO I'd rather the Mirena only be put in once every 5 years opposed to BC pills everyday.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 3:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I've had it for about 6 months, it hurt pretty bad when they put it in, but yeah take some mortrin before or something, its been very effective for us so far, sometimes hubb complains he can feel it (dr trimmed string shorter bcuz of that) I have very odd cycles, first 3 months had heavy/normal periods, after that its been really weird, sometimes once a week for one day, sometimes not at all, sometimes more normal periods. My cycle is all messed up. but overall its been okay, better than having to take a pill everyday, same time of day.
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 1:46 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• I have had it for 6 months no problems except a little weight gain..no cramping for me..I did have some spotting for the first ferw months but barely enough to notice..only noticed when I wiped..I love it..hubby never feels it..in the beginning he would fell the strings, but all you have to do is push them back and it is set to go...I know some ppl hurt and some dont..everyone has didn't symptons and signs..but I love minw soo far..the pills and the patch both failed for me..soo we are keeping our fingers cross that this one doesn't
    AProudUSMCWife

Answer by AProudUSMCWife at 1:19 PM on Mar. 12, 2009