Can anyone explain this belief to me? I am so confused!

We were at my MIL's house earlier. I was holding my 6 week old and walked over to a mirror and showed him himself in the mirror. My MIL lost it! She was upset and telling me that babies should never see themselves in a mirror until they are at least one year one!! She was distraught that her grandson had been put in front of a mirror at such a young age. I felt kinda embarrassed and freaked out. So I didn't say anything and we left soon after that. I haven't asked my husband about it because he will think I am mocking his mother's crazy beliefs.... she has a lot of them. So I was wondering if anyone can explain the logic behind this...if there is any! BTW my MIL is Hispanic. She came here from Mexico some 20-odd years ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I never heard of this... They make mirrors on baby toys for 0 plus months so I dont know sweetie maybe you should ask your hubby tell him u just want to know... Hope this helped
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 1:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I'm sure it's something she was raised with. I used to hear all kinds of weird things from my Sicilian grandmother.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Thats interesting...never heard of this..so bump.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It's an old myth.

Newborns ought not see their reflection until 1 year or they would die.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. But if it makes you feel better about things, simply don't put your little one in front of a mirror in front of your MIL.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 1:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yes, it is a Latin superstition and I am hesistent to tell you about it because I don't want to upset you.

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/stories/index.pl?noframes;read=93

of course, it isn't true. Research shows that babies love looking into mirrors and you can tell changes in their development by how they react to looking into a mirror at each stage of growth.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• forget about it 2 Timothy 1:7
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• forget about it. 2 Tim. 1 :7
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I don't have a clue. My kids always loved to look at themselves in a mirror. You should feel comfortable telling your MIL that you don't believe in superstitions and you won't let that kind of thing interfer in how you raise your child.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It's probably an old myth.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 9:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It's all superstition. It's believed babies can see spirits.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 9:51 AM on Mar. 11, 2009