Does anyone have advice on applying for disability for a child with ADHD

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Kids' Health

• advice?? shouldnt you just be honest and if you deserve it you will get it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• ADHD is a qualified disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act. However, not all people suffering from ADHD meet the requirements to apply for disability bennefits. Here are the qualifications:
    http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/adhd-attention-deficit-social-security-disability.html

I suggest being honest and letting the disability office determine whether or not your child is approved. If your child really needs bennefits due to the level of severity of ADHD, then she/he will qualify.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• You will be denied. Even if you technically qualify, the first time ANYONE applies for disabilty they deny you. You can appeal & you might possibly get it...but its a long shot. My son has Tourette's Syndrome & ADHD & I couldn't get it for him. I have a friend who is a dr. & he told me he had a patient who was in a car wreck, paralyzed from his waist down, blind in one eye, and missing part of an arm and he applied and...they DENIED him! He had to reapply and fight them for a year before he was approved. My ex step dad also had to fight to get it. He had injuries from the vietnam war that finally made him be in such bad shape he could no longer work & they denied him for 3 years. Finally after he got a lawyer he finally got it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Anon 2:37....That's not always true, my son was approved for SSI the first time we applied on his behalf. When filling out the SSI paperwork, it was obvious how much his disabilities are impacting his life, including his ability to learn & function independently.

To the OP: Typically, a child with ADHD will not qualify for SSI unless the impact of the disorder is quite severe & greatly impacts the child's ability to learn & function in daily life. Most children with an ADHD diagnosis do well enough on medication and/or with other therapies that their disability does not significantly impact their life, which is why they often do not qualify. Also, even if your child qualifies based on disability, your family must qualify based on income, so if you don't qualify on both counts, then your child will be denied SSI benefits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Well good for you anon. Glad you didnt have to fight them. Kind of ashame when a paralyzed, one armed, half blind guy has to fight to get it though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I didn't realize ADHD was a disability, seeing how many children are misdiagnosed with it.
    Anonymous

• In NY you would be asked to fill out a 504 section form.
    Anonymous