Why do other moms have to do this? *vent*

My daughter will be 2 soon and I know she is very small for her age. We've been to specialists and have done everything that was asked of us. Tests were done and have come back negative. Doctor says she is just small. She eats well and reached all of her milestones early, she's a happy and healthy little girl. I am so tired of the questions and comments though. A mom will give us a look and I know the question is coming, "How old is she?" I tell them and here comes the "Wow, she's so small!" Really? I didn't notice. "How much does she weigh?" Why do you care? I know sometimes its innocent, other times I know there's snark behind it. Why do moms have to do that? Think before you talk and get some tact! As a mom I learned early not to comment on things like this. I wish I weren't overly sensitive about this but I am. I'm sorry, I had to vent where people may understand. How do I answer these questions that are noone's business?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sometimes the obvious are ice-breakers. Small talk. Just trying to get to know you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• People have no respect or tact.

I would just tell them it's none of their business. :)
    Anonymous

• Humans are innately curious.

It is our nature.

Even so...some self-control is always appreciated.

Next time, politely say : "I'm very sorry, but I really don't know you well enough to get into this."
    Then smile graciously or nod and walk away. 'nuff said, and you won't seem bitchy.
    Anjeey

Answer by Anjeey at 1:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I'd ask them how much to THEY weigh! or I'd be like "wow your so fat?!" if somebody approached me about one of my kids like that.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 1:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• do not to. oops.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 1:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• People tell me my little girl is soooo big! Honestly I don't care, I know they are just trying to make small talk and it's completely innocent.
    If you don't want people to talk to you or make comments to you don't make eye contact w/ them or when they start to talk just ignore them-a very simple solution.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think you are being oversensitive. I had the same exact issue with my daughter. I never felt people were being anything but curious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with Anon, people say those things as conversation starters and as ice-breakers. A lot more people than you think are socially awkward and have things flying out of their mouths before they can speak. It is no different than the "OMG, how many do you have in there?!" comments and people petting you like a cat when you're pregnant. People want to say something to you to be nice but they don't know what to say. When you hear it all the time, you become especially sensitive to it. People rarely realise that you probably hear the same crap all day long (just like they forget how many times you probably repeat your due date each day when you're pregnant and ask anyway). They're not meaning to be rude so being rude in return (by asking them how much their weigh or telling them they're rude) isn't appropriate. (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Next time someone says something to you just say "you know, she is very small for her age but her doctors say she is just fine. It's a well hashed topic for me though, can we talk about the weather instead?" In a lighthearted manner. You are letting them know you're done with the topic and not to ask about it again without being rude as well as given a socially awkward person a new conversational direction to go in.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• And hey, if the OP cares about it, she cares. Sometimes we can't help the things that annoy us.

My son is large for his age. I am 5'11 and his father is 6'1. He was born at 9lbs 6 oz and almost 23 inches long. People constantly comment about how big he is and it makes me feel like I must be over-feeding him or I am raising a little monster. I don't hold it against them and I realise that I'm just sensitive to it but it doesn't mean I'm wrong for being annoyned and wanting to talk about something else lol.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:57 AM on Mar. 11, 2009