Anyone else using a Doula? I'm having a hospital birth and have some questions.

If so what are your expectation of her? I'm filing out the paper work for my doula and I'm not sure what to put as for what I want from her in the first and second stage of labor?

I want a natural as possible birth with NO IV, NO induction or augmentation, NO hospital gown, NO vaginal checks, Minimal monitoring, etc. so what things should I ask of her as far as support during labor and delivery to help me get these things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't use a doula, but I'm pretty sure everything you just listed here is the kind of thing you would discuss with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Doulas are amazing. End of story.
    But there is an art at making it an amazing expeirence for you and your spouse. My first tip would be ... REFRENCES REFRENCES REFRENCES!!! I think one key tip a lot of first time Mommys overlook is that some doulas try to take over instead of asist. I am so happy to hear you're planning on a natural childbirth.. I had a waterbirth with my daughter and it was simply unbelieveable.
    Make sure that she understands exactly what your expectaions are. If you want your spouse to do the breathing techniques and rubbing your back and all. Make sure she knows that you want her to help him help you... (if that makes sense)

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me!!
    Good luck and CONGRATS!! =]
    GA_GiRL0920

Answer by GA_GiRL0920 at 2:13 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Don't you need to have vaginal checks when your pregnant or in labor so they know what is going on with the baby or labor progression incase your having problems or can you not have any and just see where your body takes you.?
    I Guess you post has me curious and what type of prenatal care did you get along the way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I am seeing an OBGYN. I've 2 vaginal checks but only because of bleeding. Otherwise I would have opted out of them. They are not necessary to know what's going on with the baby but can be helpful when a problem such as bleeding arises.

Also as far as labor is concerned I will be listening to my body, not a doctor, to tell me when to push so there is no need for vaginal checks. When you have a chance search "The Rule of 10 VS Women's Priminal Instinct". It's an awesome article that has been post here on Cafemom many times.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2009