How many friends do you have?

I just realized I am a successful 35 y/o woman with no real friends. If I am without my husband and my kids I literally do not know what to do. I have a full time job and am starting my own business. I think I am pleasant enough. I get along wonderfully with people I come in contact with, at work, the kids' school and sports events, but I have no real friends. Based on what you know about me (I agree it's not much) why do you think I cannot make friends?

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 4:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't know anything about you, so I can't comment on your character.

I only have 3 friends who I completely trust. These people are the people I went to HS with 10 years ago and we have kept in contact, which has been tough to do. Friendships are work and a lot of people don't want to put the time or energy into them.

I have other friends that I hang out with, but I have a hard time becoming comfortable w/ new people so I find it difficult finding new friends or keeping them.

You sound like a nice gal. Are you trying to make friends or are you keeping them at a distance? Invite somebody over for dinner, thats how I start all my new friendships.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• LOL...I'm 40 and while I'm certainly social enough and get invited to parties, I would say I do not have any REALLY close friends/confidantes! I've been burned by so -called friends in the past, so I guess Ive learned to not get emotionally connected to anyone--except my husband and children of course--in order to protect myself.

Women can be REALLY catty and some can be emotionally draining (real downers)--even when you are always there for them. I've found my CafeMom friends to be the best of both worlds...chat whenever the mood strikes, delete or ignore, when it doesn't! LMAO! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think many times married women with kids don't have many real friends.....Many people you see and get along with, but not close friends. I think it happens because your husband takes on that primary role of "best friend" in the beginning at least.... The women who keep their old friends are the lucky ones! I think it is kind of a shame, but even if you want to hold on to friends they may fall into the pattern of being unavailable for the friendship. I remember when my friends and I started getting married, we didn't call each other like we used to anymore....and then when everyone started having kids....it got even harder to really talk to each other. So, the friendship isn't like it used to be....it takes a lot of energy to hold on to it.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I'm 17 and my only friends are my mom and my boyfriend :(
    MomAt15woah

Answer by MomAt15woah at 8:50 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I only have 4 real friends that I can trust with my darkest secrets that's 1 fellow Navy wife, my mom, husband and sister-in-law. The only one in the same state as me is my hubby
    PunkinLPN

Answer by PunkinLPN at 10:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2009