What would you do? (sorry I am not sure where this should go)

I met a friend in play group when our kids were babies. They are both 6 now. My problem is that her child is so obnoxious. For example, when the child (lets call her Emily) wants something and is told no she will make her face all angry, and then if any one is looking will cry - if no one is looking she will shout about how unhappy she is then start crying.
I don't have this problem with my daughter, unles she has been playing with Emily. We don't get together often, because of Emily, but I really like my friend.
What do you think?
Do I just give up on my friend?
Do I limit our visits even further?
Do you have a better solution?

UnblemishedLove

Asked by UnblemishedLove at 4:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• it seems like you two have been friends long enough to give her some parenting advice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• sounds like you and "emily's mom" need to have just "mommy outings".
    or maybe this is a girl friend that you can have what i like to call with my cross country friends "phone dates" where basically you can sit on the phone (or internet) and chat about nothing and everything.
    it still gives you that outlet that having a friend allows without dealing with a bratty child.
    GA_GiRL0920

Answer by GA_GiRL0920 at 4:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yep I agree with PP. I would just hang out with her and NO children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Sheltering "Emily" from positive role models isn't helping to fix the situation. It's pretty sad to give up on a kid because she's going through a developmental phase. Nice. It's not like this is a new play date situation. You're teaching your child to give up on friends just because they are learning how to relate with peers and might not be doing it well at the moment.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• To the kind people here, a heartfelt THANK YOU!!!

halfpint, this child is behaving like mine did when she was 3 or 4... this is not a new thing.
    Instead of just criticizing me and the suggestions here why don't you come up with a better solution? That is, afterall, why I asked. NOT to be judged like your comment. I have to ask myself, why are you so rude about this, does the question hit a little too close to home for you?
    UnblemishedLove

Answer by UnblemishedLove at 12:44 AM on Mar. 15, 2009