Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can i find out?

yesterday i got quite the little surprise. i got five hundred dollars in child support,support that has not been paid in years and alll of the sudden boom. heres my problem my ex has not been a father to my kids at all. he even tried to kill me and my oldest daughter fifteen years ago and did prison time. any ways i think he may have filed taxes and claimed my kids. how can i find out if he filed and if he claimed the kids? cuz if he did ooooo he is in troooubble.


Asked by jodi205 at 7:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 17 (4,145 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • I'm sure that check you got wasn't voluntary. It probably was taken from his tax return. So I say just call.

    Answer by Christine0813 at 7:52 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • I think you can call the IRS, not really sure though. Did you file your taxes yet? If you claimed them I would like to think it would have been a flag on his part when being processed if he did.


    Answer by Christine0813 at 7:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • I think you can call the IRS also. If you've been claiming them and you can prove that you are supporting them and not him (which I am SURE you can) then he's in trouble. Why would you want to start trouble if he is finally making support payments though? If you stay cool, maybe he'll keep paying... Unless you don't want his filthy money after what he did to you, which I could understand, in which case report away!!!

    Answer by beckcorc at 7:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • we just filed ours saturday so he would have had to file sooner to get his back and pay the support all ready ya know. he has had no contact withe these kids and they have never lived with him ever. but if he claimed them wont it delay our taxes til they get to the bottom of it

    Answer by jodi205 at 7:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • No, they'd have to audit one of you. Does he have your daughters SSN? If he doesn't have it, he can't claim her.

    Answer by beckcorc at 7:50 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • well beck he has put us through hell and he is a seriously crazy person. right now he is on the run. he owes major fines here in PA and they are looking for him he skipped a court date he was to attend for assaultin a police offficer and they are looking for him and he jumped bail so he has a bounty hunter looking for him. he is a fugitive right now.

    Answer by jodi205 at 7:50 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • hmm i dont think they would have to audit ex from 25 yrs ago was trying to use my daughter as a right off all they did was call me and ask me..maybe things have changed...

    Answer by snowmom974 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • Jodi that was a surprise for you even if it came from one of your sources that you do not like. Put it to good use and enjoy. In the meantime you definitely should contact an attorney just for legal advice on that important matter. My gf does that all the time with her ex-so and her kids. They can give you the best advice for free. But make that call today. Don't wait, find out what is going on beind your back.You need to know as soon as you can.

    Answer by jareda69 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • I"m not sure that's public information. File your return, claim the kids. If you get a letter from the IRS b/c the dependent was claimed twice, you have your answer. If you don't, you have your answer :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • Did you file electronically? If so, the system will kick it out within 24hrs if a child has already been claimed.

    Answer by Bubbas_ma at 9:39 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

Next question in Just for Fun

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Baby moving