If you are a working mom: Do you look down on SAHMs?

I saw a question yesterday that asked if SAHMs acted like their husbands "slaves" which made me think that maybe SAHMs are not really respected by working moms. Be honest, and answer anon if you want.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My BFF is a SAHM and she rocks.

There are jerks that stay home and jerks that work.

It's what works best for you, your partner, your family, your finances - and nobody has it easy. WOHM, SAHM - it's all M.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My honest answer is that neither is better than the other.  I was a SAHM for 17 years and have recently returned to the workforce, so you could say that I'm both lol.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• The ones that look down on SAHM, are usually the ones jealous or miserable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Most of the time, I have become very jaded in this area. I understand about having babies (less than one), but not about children going off to school. I raised my child since newborn, and had to work my way up in the corporate world. Yes, I fix breakfast for my child, hug her, and then send her off to school, but I also am responsible for the mortgage, utilities, and other expenses. So I have to burn at both ends.

The reason why I am like this is because I have been treated very badly by a lot of SAHM moms when I was behind the desk. But because of my profession, I don't react. I know from what I've experienced that the attitudes that some of these SAHM mom have would not be tolerated in the work world. So, it is my conclusion that I have had more life-lesson discipline through the hardships of the corporate world/motherhood, than otherwise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I am a SAHM. My oldest is 4 yr ol next mo I have been a SAHM since I was 7 mo prg with her. Sometimes I wish I did work, just to get time away from the kids lol. But I can't afford to work DH makes to much to get help with childcare and by the time I put 2 kids in daycare I would be giving them probably all of my check and some of DH believe me I called around when I was prg with #2. Although at times I love being a SAHM. About being a slave my DH does not make me feel like a slave at all. I make the choice to do what I do. I clean up after kids all day I clean house and do dishes but that it a womens job anyway right? I make dinner. I will make him a plate and something to drink so all he has to do is come through the door sit and eat, but not bc I have to, but bc I want to I only make his first plate if he wants seconds he gets it. I have no problem with telling him to get it himself lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• To be fair there are some SAHM's that look down on working moms.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I have been both and do NOT look down on either. There is no reason to.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• we're all mothers wether we work or stay at home shouldnt be an issue. being a mother is the toughest and most rewarding job of all kudos to all mothers
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• OP here - I understand that some SAHMs look down on working moms. I guess my question is only in the scope of working moms looking down because that's what I saw in this question. I was hurt and insulted to be called a slave to my husband. I just feel like working moms treat SAHMs like they are not modern women, like they are some how less than working moms.

I won't lie. I am jealous of moms with successful careers. I think it's cool and I wish I had a cool job and that my kids could see me going off to save the world in the mornings. But that's not what I have. I would never try to make a working mom feel bad about what she does out of my own jealousy. I think we all do what works within our own families. I have dealt with my jealousy and have recognized it as my own issue. But I do still feel judged by working women...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Just like anything else you have to do what you have to do... And if you choose to work then that's your choice... My Hubby and I made the choice for me to be a WAHM. We don't need the extra income so what I do at home isn't making the big bucks but it keeps me busy when it's just me and my 5 yr old and the other 2 are at school. I have been a WAHM for the past 13 yrs and coming from the teachers at school they think it's so good for the kids... And they are WORKING moms... So who knows, I just do what I feel is best for MY kids... When our 5 yr old goes to school then I plan to help out at their school... My Hubyy is gone 4 weeks at a time with his job so I feel one of us should be home fulltime. I don't judge anyone, I actually look up to them, I don't know how they do it all...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2009