Is it Legal not to file taxes if you are working and dont make enough to pay in but just dont want to file?

I filed cuz i wanted my money but i had friend who didnt file.. she knows she wont have to pay in cuz she doesnt make alot and has 2 kids but she just didnt want to file.. is that even legal?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:05 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• there is a certain amount you have to make before you have to file. at least that is what i was told
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think you have to file if you make more than $600.00.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• If you go to the IRS website you'll find all of the requirements for filing listed. THere is an income limit for not filing. I don't recall the exact amount and I'm not sure if it changes from year to year.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Why would she not file? With two kids she should get quite a bit back. Legal or not? I don't know. Crazy for not wanting her money? yes
    lalli_lalli

Answer by lalli_lalli at 11:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I file no matter what cause I get a ton of money back because of my kids. I almost made my annual income this year on my tax return! She nuts to not file!
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:04 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I was under the impression that you had to file no matter what.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2009