is she weaning herself?

The last couple nights my 6 m/o dd has just screamed when I try to nurse her. She has been getting a bottle during the day B/c I have been working. Is she just done nursing? Anyone go thru this with their LO?

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 8:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She could be teething. And she might be taking the bottle because she can bite down on the bottle nipple, but she knows she can't bite down on your nipple. If she is showing other signs of teething, you can try giving her tylenol or teething drops/tablets a few minutes before she nurses to see if it helps. Good luck!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 8:35 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Maybe a nursing strike... just keep at it, it will pass. My son does the opposite, he has bottle strikes which is stressful when I have to go to work!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:36 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Babies do not self wean before 12 months old. Many moms mistake a nursing strike for weaning. Hang in there and spend extra time holding her, skin to skin when you can. Bathing together often helps too.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2009