Does it bother you when you here and unborn child refferd to as "it"?

I am prochoice undre certain circumstances..but for some reason it bugs me .. i mean at least in referacne to child that i know the person is going to keep or my own child.. i dont know why it bothers me.. i just prefer "the baby"...

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There's only so many times you can say "the baby" in a single sentence without sounding like an idiot. Soon as you know the sex of the baby, you can refer to it in the masculine or feminine.

Answer by kimberleee382 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We called our baby "it" til we found out what the sex was .... I find it harmless lol ... we love "it", now that we know "it' is we still call her "it" sometimes ... what's the big deal?

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• As a Pregnant woman....I dont like the 'IT" term. ITs your shild refer to it as "My baby" Or something cute like "My hunny" not it. It is a child not a old shoe lol

Answer by MaMaTreZZa at 10:36 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• first of all, killing any unborn "CHILD" is wrong. and why does it matter to you what people refer to "THEIR" children as?

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It has never bothered me. In fact we call our 5 month old "it" often as a joke. in fact, I looked up "it" on and this is what it said:

"used to represent a person or animal understood, previously mentioned, or about to be mentioned whose gender is unknown or disregarded"

So "It" is the correct reference in that situation.

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• well I mean if they don't know the sex or something..I don't take it personal! I mean it is how they express their feelings. It is them not you so why stress over something that does not concern you?

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I try to see it as people not wanting to get too excited either way about the baby being a boy or girl, and in general conversation, it is hard to constantly say "the baby". I know I said it without meaning to and my husband would get bothered, but it really was only about not saying he or she!

Answer by chillemi78 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2009