Does it bother you when you here and unborn child refferd to as "it"?

I am prochoice undre certain circumstances..but for some reason it bugs me .. i mean at least in referacne to child that i know the person is going to keep or my own child.. i dont know why it bothers me.. i just prefer "the baby"...

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I try to see it as people not wanting to get too excited either way about the baby being a boy or girl, and in general conversation, it is hard to constantly say "the baby". I know I said it without meaning to and my husband would get bothered, but it really was only about not saying he or she!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 8:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• well I mean if they don't know the sex or something..I don't take it personal! I mean it is how they express their feelings. It is them not you so why stress over something that does not concern you?
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It has never bothered me. In fact we call our 5 month old "it" often as a joke. in fact, I looked up "it" on dictionary.com and this is what it said:

"used to represent a person or animal understood, previously mentioned, or about to be mentioned whose gender is unknown or disregarded"

So "It" is the correct reference in that situation.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• first of all, killing any unborn "CHILD" is wrong. and why does it matter to you what people refer to "THEIR" children as?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• As a Pregnant woman....I dont like the 'IT" term. ITs your shild refer to it as "My baby" Or something cute like "My hunny" not it. It is a child not a old shoe lol
    MaMaTreZZa

Answer by MaMaTreZZa at 10:36 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We called our baby "it" til we found out what the sex was .... I find it harmless lol ... we love "it", now that we know "it' is we still call her "it" sometimes ... what's the big deal?
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• There's only so many times you can say "the baby" in a single sentence without sounding like an idiot. Soon as you know the sex of the baby, you can refer to it in the masculine or feminine.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009