constipation

I think my newborn may be constipated, he only had 2 BM's yesterday and the last one was more pasty rather than the normal wet. I have stopped giving breast milk and I am on straight formula, could that be something? I know that breast milk might make his BM's more wet.

jennykid11

Asked by jennykid11 at 8:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Constipation means hard little poops... not thick. And 2 times in a day is just fine. Probably just a change from breastfeed stool to formula stool. A formula fed baby can go 2-3 days without pooping and it's fine. (A breastfed baby up to 2 weeks!)
    And when they are new... even an easy job can look like it takes all the effort in the world! Grunting, red face... sometimes crying. And it's because they haven't learned how to go yet.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with AmyJanell, the switch to formula probably slowed him down a bit. It's not digested as easily. My daughter, although breastfed, never went more than once every couple of days. Even as a newborn. I wouldn't worry about it unless they come out hard. Consider yourself lucky, less diaper changes!
    Evies_Momma

Answer by Evies_Momma at 9:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Sounds like typical formula poop.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 11, 2009