umbilical cord

My newborn is almost 5 weeks old and he still has his umbilical cord. My pediatrician told us not to use rubbing alcohol on it unless it is oozing, so we have not done it, but it is still very much attached, any suggestions?

jennykid11

Asked by jennykid11 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doc. said to clean around it with alcohol once a day and my son's did'nt come off until 6 weeks, but my daughter's came off at 4 weeks
    nee-nee78

Answer by nee-nee78 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think my son was 3wks when his came off. We were told to clean it with soap and water that was it. Every baby is different, much like every body is different. Some will come off sooner than others. As long as its not infected, your baby will be fine.
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My dr had us cleaning the cord 3x daily with alcohol and it fell off at 21 days. I was to to see a dr if it took more than a month.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:55 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• my dr said to clean it with alcohol 3x a day also. and i think my daughters fell at 3 1/2 weeks. now she has an outtie.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 10:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2009