Ok question about shaving!!!

Alright so I am stuck! My daughter is 10 will be 11 in june and going in to the 6th grade. So anyway, she is very developed for her age and has recently increased in hair on her legs and I know it bothers her. She is very mature for her age and handles situations well. I was thinking of letting her shave her legs this spring because she has massave hair now and it is noticable. When did you let your daughter start shaving? Do you think it totally depends on maturity and of course the situation as mine?

WonderWoman1979

Asked by WonderWoman1979 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• yes,if u think your dd is ready go ahead and teach her...it seems kinda young but if she is maturing in a quick way not teaching her could cause her to get embarressed if its alot of hair,i started shaving when i was 12 cause i had some seriious leg hair
    RIERIE

Answer by RIERIE at 8:47 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Mine started at 9, she's also very developed and has black hair, so she started using Nair 2 summers ago, I didn't want to feel ashamed or be teased bc her legs were so hairy. I did get her an electric razor for christmas and she loves it.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 8:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• yeah that is what I am more worried about is her feelings on this and her getting teased. She already gets noticed by older boys and I hate it so we talk a lot about stuff like that and I make sure she dresses accordingly.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My parents refused to allow me to shave even though I was like your daughter...I had long, BLACK hair on my legs and was made fun of a lot in school. My parents didn't care! One day I shaved without asking them and I was whiped big time! They wanted me to wait until I was 18! But aftter a while when I was 13 I was finally allowed to shave....I will never to that to my daughter if I have one... What my parents did to me was very hurtful and I still suffer from it to this day! Please allow your daughter to shave and save her the humiliation of being made fun of like I was!!!!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• ok I'll get bashed for this but I really don't care what other ppl think ~ My DD is 8 she has been "shaving" since 7 she don't like the hair on her legs so I TAUGHT her how to get rid of it, But I didn't turn her loose with a razor I bought Nair, she'll turn 9 in June & she has beautiful hair free legs :)

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 9:11 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Jess i think if you feel she's ready to handle it then let her. Has she asked to shave?
    sweetevilness23

Answer by sweetevilness23 at 9:37 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• yeah she has asked to shave Jen that is why I kinda asked on this. You have seen her you know how mature she looks and acts (wait I think you have seen her lol)
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• my dd who is almost 8 has extremely dark course hair on her legs. she attends summer camps and public school and is continually picked on and told that she looked like a boy because of it. when she was 6 we began using veet on her about once a month to keep it from bothering her. we told her that it is a private thing we do for ourselves to make us feel good about ourselves and that she doesn't need to share the information... just like she shouldn't announce to her classmates when she uses the toilet.
    i think that it has little to do with maturity or growing up too quickly, but with comfort, confidence and selfworth. if doing something so small as removing the hair on a little girls leg makes them feel confident and secure then it is a good and wholesome thing- just like you allow them to wear dresses to feel girly and pretty, taking away the unsightly mass of hair can do the same thing in a positive way.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• fantastic! You ladies have really helped
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• DD started when she was about. She's a cheerleader and has dark hair so she said she didn't want her bases grabbing her hairy legs when they did stunts. She's 11 now and has to shave her legs and underarms. Since we took showers together when she was younger she pretty much knew the jist of it.
    suej27

Answer by suej27 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2009