Why do dental crowns cost so much?

one crown 915.00, have insurance but still expensive.

Pcpaws

Asked by Pcpaws at 8:45 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Health

• It's mostly the lab fees. Your dentist probably doesn't actually make the crown, they send them out to a dental lab who makes it. Those fees are usually pretty high. Depending on the dentist, the labor can be pretty steep too. But you have a minimum of two appointments, sometimes more. There's a lot of work that goes into it.
    Evies_Momma

Answer by Evies_Momma at 9:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I know they are expensive, aren't they? I could get a boob job for all that I have spent on my mouth in the past 3 years redoing the damage the navy did to my mouth with their half arse dentistry.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:24 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I understand that they may be expensive to make, but you'd think that because this is a common occurance as people age (even with good dental care), that insurance companies would help us foot the bill...we pay enough for it! I just found out that I still have to come up with $500+ for a crown AND orthadontia for my son...UGH! Anybody have a tree with $100's growing on it???
    LOL!
    HMdigimom

Answer by HMdigimom at 11:35 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Seriously, aside from the labor that may go into crowns and implants..A lot of insurance companies still believe that dentistry is more cosmetic than a necessity. Can you live without a crown? Probably..Is your quality of life affected because you cannot chew right or your smile is messed up? Most definitley.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I definitely think insurance companies should provide better dental coverage. It's one of those things that people tend to put off because it's expensive (not to mention unpleasant) but can really hurt your health if left untreated. My mom is a dentist and has sent patients to the ER before because they had infections that got into the blood stream. Things can get very bad for a person if they delay treatment and I think it's a crime that insurance companies are willing to take that gamble.
    Evies_Momma

Answer by Evies_Momma at 4:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Thanks for all the info on my question, it just so frustrating how expensive it is!! grrrrrrrrr
    Pcpaws

Answer by Pcpaws at 8:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2009