• In the Spotlight:

Have you stayed at a bed & breakfast? How was it?

I am trying to plan a weekend trip for my husband and I to celebrate our 10th ann this June. We have never stayed at a B&B so we thought it might be something fun to do. But I have been looking online and they all seem kindof expensive and if you stay on a weekend most require 2 night stay. So I wanted some opinions on staying in a B&B,if you have stayed in one how was it and is it worth the price,etc? Thanks!

hbuffington

Asked by hbuffington at 9:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Travel

• I prefer them to hotels. They are more homey. You also have to take into account that that price usually includes a afternoon tea and breakfast in the AM. They are much more personal and it is kind of like staying in someone's home. If you aren't comfortable with that, then it isn't for you. Try it and see how it goes!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We have, and it was quite enjoyable.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It depends on how loud you are going to be (lol) It IS staying at someone's home, so though it is comfortable and cozy, you are sharing a house with a family. I prefer a suite at a hotel.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 9:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Hhhmm LOL I hadnt really thought of it that way pattigioeli. I would like to think we know how to control ourselves after 10 yrs of marriage but we are going to celebrate! LOL I am going to compare prices of B&B's to hotel suites in the area and see what I find.
    hbuffington

Answer by hbuffington at 9:43 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Have a blast and congrats! We celebrate our 10th in October.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 9:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I stayed in one in San Diego. The home was GORGEOUS, however, it was FILTHY, since we had arrived a couple hours early. She had a super filthy, STINKY dog which made leaving the bedroom very unpleasant. At breakfast, the owner of the home ate with us and did not make enough food...so we felt like we could only eat a very small amount because she advised us that her daughter and grandchildren were also coming to breakfast.....

As beautiful as these B&B's are - there is no standard of professionalism. I prefer hotel.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• TLALONDE16 Thanks for your reply. All the ones I have looked up online of course look wonderful, I guess I just cant get over the price of some of them. Also alot of them require 2 nights stay on a weekend which kind of stinks.
    hbuffington

Answer by hbuffington at 2:33 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My hubby and I went to one for our honeymoon. It was wonderful! We found it to be much more relaxing and comfortable then a hotel. We got a special package that included champagne and massages, and we stayed for 4 nights. Definitely worth the price. We found ours on-line. We decided on a place we wanted to go, and then looked up what options there were. This place had the best deals, by far.

We want to go back once the kids are old enough to be left with Grandma for more than a couple hours.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I went to a B & B in San Francisco and loved it! It was a victorian house and was very romantic especially the breakfast that was served.
    sweetcravings2

Answer by sweetcravings2 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2009