Why did they not come yet?

I have some stale bread and I throw it outside in tiny pieces and I don't understand why the birdys are not flocking over this bread. I saw some birds earlier and now like they are gone. That was why I threw the bread for them thinking they would come and get it.

Where could they have gone? Not to mention it looks cloudy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hmmm...maybe they are full and they will come back later! lol I dunno
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Most birds don't eat bread or don't recognize it as a food source, unless you live in the city where there are pigions and opportunists like those. If you live in a cold climate the birds are looking for hibernating insects and seeds. Put out some fatback or peanutbutter as a protein source and you will see the birds come.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• The birds want fresh, not stale, bread!
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Birds don't like to travel when it's cloudy. Don't worry they will come in full force when it clears up. Also, did you leave anything for them to drink? You may want to consider this as bread can leave them with a dry mouth-not good;(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• lol justamom
    Mrs_Dewberry

Answer by Mrs_Dewberry at 10:52 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Maybe the smell a storm a'brewin'...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I always toss out old bread (usually moldy or stale stuff) and old croutons but the birds always freak out when I open the door and toss it out, lol. But the eventually come back (like in a few hours or the next day) and the birds around here will eat any kind of bread you throw out. We watched one day as they fought over every last crumb. There were about 30 birds of various sizes in our yard (mostly sparrows and starlings with a few mourning doves). It was like a free for all with the bigger birds stealing from the little birds. My daughter loved it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2009