How to start 6 month old on food

I am going to the store before I go in for an appointment and was wondering what I should buy. My 6 month old has been eating rice cereal for about 2 months, now we are ready to introduce other foods. Which ones should I buy. The Dr. said to start with veggies first - is there any that I need to avoid, or is any veggie ok? And - he does really well with a pretty thick cereal, should I start with stage 2? Oh - and do I start with one veggie a day or do it twice per day?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 10:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start with stage 1 veggies. Buy at least 4 of each and try that same veggie four times in a row. For example, peas. Feed him peas starting out once or twice a day until he has had it four times. This will allow you to find out if he is allegeric to anything and it will allow him to discover if he likes it or not. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I would start stage 1 and something,like peas,but just do pea for a couple of days,before you do another veggie,same when you intriduce fruits,it is to make sure the little one is'nt allergic ,I would do cereal in the morning,veggie for lunch and formula for supper,and cereal before bed.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• if you can, try to do the food processor thing. there are a lot of preservatives in the canned baby food to make them have a longer shelf life. Not to mention you get the piece of mind....knowing exactly what you are putting in your baby's body. Plus I think in the long run you save money this way. You could start with some mushed up veggies from the fresh produce section, or maybe some fruits! My 4 month old isn't on any solids yet, but he's gummed the hell out of a watermelon and tasted an orange and a banana chip...loved them all! Good Luck, very exciting time!!!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I would start with stage 2 jars. Just give 1/2 at a meal and the rest in the fridge. It's more cost effective, just get the single ingredients to start with. The only difference is the size of the jar and one jar of stage 2 costs less than two jars of stage 1.

Once a day for 3-5 days to check for reaction.

I did things a little different with each kid. I did veggies first then fruits with one. I did alphabetical order with another. I did one veggie then one fruit with the third. It really doesn't matter in which order you do it...just do single ingredients first, then always make sure if you do the combos that only one of the ingredients in the combo is "new".

Start now working for the final goal...breakfast, lunch, supper and a couple of snacks. When you eat your meals, give the baby's.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I find this helpful: http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm

Also I think stage 2 would be fine. My 5 month old has been eating stage 2 for a while, and some stage 3. There is very little difference between the stages, just bigger containers and stage 2+ offers mixed varieties along with singles. Make sure to start with singles until you know what your LO can handle.

If you or your husband are allergic to anything I would wait a while until introducing that particular food to your LO. I am allergic to peaches, so we haven't tried them yet with my daughter, and probably won't for some time.

Realistically there is no right or wrong way to go about it. Just do what you think would be best and your baby will be just fine. Good luck! And don't feel like you have to make your own baby food if you don't want to. Gerber and other brands are perfectly suitable for babies.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2009