Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does my son really need help?

My 19 month old son"s doc. says he needs to see a specailist cuz he is'nt talking yet. I don't like to have people in my house that I don't know. He was saying mommy, daddy, no and what. Since my daughter came in December he has'nt said anything. I really need help. The lady is coming to my house on the 17th so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer Question

Asked by nee-nee78 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • if you do not want to do it you don't have to. the way i see it why wouldn't you give them any opportunity to help them?

    Answer by ZaTa at 10:16 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • You don't have to if you don't want to. Your the only one who really knows your son. If he is experiencing some speech regression it might be a good idea to get a professional opinion so that you know if he needs intervention or to calm your nerves and let you know everything is fine. From my personal experience my DS wasn't saying very much at all. He only said one word by 15 months and the doctor wanted him evaluated then. I said that I would wait. My 23 months he was only saying maybe 15 words. Then around 25-26 months he had a language burst. Now he is saying more than I can even count. He is also saying 2-3 word sentences. I made the decision to wait because I didn't feel he needed intervention. He could follow 2 step directions, and he understood what I was saying. So you are the only one who knows your son. If you do think he will need services early intervention is better only do what makes you comfortable

    Answer by mazonmom at 10:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • You have the right to stop it. You always have that right.

    However, my concern based on what you've written is that he was talking and then stopped. He hasn't spoken in two months. That regression "can be" a cause for concern.

    I have two in speech. With my three year old, I had him evaluated for speech and discovered he had other areas of concern as well. We now know he is borderline for PDD-NOS....

    I (personally) am a firm believer in getting help for the kids if they need it. But if you don't want someone coming into your house to help your kids, that is totally your choice. Please consider making arrangements to meet them somewhere else then.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • Hi. Not sure if your concern is someone in your house to eval teach your son speech lessons or mayb u feel he doesn't need it? If it's the first about some one in your house u can go to a speech therapist's office as a private office or in a hospital, some one does not absolutely have to come to your home. Two of my kids have had speech therapy evals and lessons. It's just their opinion on where that particular therapist thinks your child stands. You can take that eval and think on it for a while before starting or not starting. You also have the right to know the therapists background of education and degrees.Is there a website? At your son's age the lessons and eval should too definitely be fun not sit and learn lessons. Our speech therapist had one of our daughters string cheerios while doing the lessons-she loved it, another time it was fun drawin while talkn. A developmental eval then is also done.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • oh and you can always get a second opinion on speech/devel evaluation after the first one if your still unsure of that therapist's evaluation. Check your insurance and with the therapist to see if your insurance will cover the speech/devel. evaluation and lessons and to what degree. Usually there are a certain number of lessons allowed per insurance year that you are presently in. Sometimes though it's not covered at all. If your son is no longer talking at all if he is also slowing down in other ways - not eating, not playing, not smiling, not laughing the eval is really something to think hard on getting down somewhere. If he's active and healthy and happy but just not talking any more try to think of what's happened - is he, directly to baby or you when you hold baby - angry and emotional? If so maybe your partner can take baby in evenings and some week end days for you to spend more one on one with your son.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.