Smoking?

How can one tell if a kid is smoking cigarettes? Or pot?
Do you think kids 12 or 13 could be smoking one or the other?
If so, what to do?

Of course, we have talked about the problems of smoking - health, money, and the fact that pot is illegal... but I want to be prepared.

PhillyinFrance

Asked by PhillyinFrance at 10:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Smell them... My friends parents sniff them anytime they come home from a party of something (yes they still do this and their kids are 23 and 21) I started smoking at 16 and my parents never knew until I turned 19 and just didn't care if they found out. But heres what I did to hide it:: I kept hand sanitizer with me 24/7 and lotion and spray. I would febreeze my truck and had car air freshners & then I found out that the citrus acid in oranges or tangerines is the only thing that truly removes the smell from your fingers so anywhere I went I had tangerines too. There are plenty of tricks but 9 times out of 10 (the one exception being that your child is smarter then me I can't think of what else they might do) they will start being obssessed with smelly things and always 'smell' of some sweet fragrance... and gum and mints and mouth wash. The parents i mentioned above would ground their kids if they were to 'fresh' smelling
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We don't smoke anything so I'd notice the smell right away--even if they tried covering it up. Kids start smoking earlier than you think! Without pointing fingers or accusing I would dig up all kinds of info on smoking and what it does to your health. Just educate them as much as possible at this point.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Its very hard to be able to tell if they are smoking cigs or pot. I started smoking cigs when I was 12 years old. My dad would CONSTANTLY smell my hands, breath.. clothes etc. Then he started getting snoopy in my room and look throughout my WHOLE bedroom under the bed, in my drawes, even up in my ceiling tiles... which he indeed found a pack of cigarettes up their... But you just have to be persistant I guess.. As for pot, well I don't really know how to find that out, and YES kids start expiermenting with drugs at this age. I would just be on the look out for any clues or signs of them being under the influence? Or you can also pick up piss tests at walmart in the pharmacy to test your child at home to make sure they are not smoking pot... Hope this helps!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Oh Yeah. I have an 18 Year old and caught him smoking at the age of 14. I could smell it on him, on his cloths, in his hair. All you can do is talk to them and take them to visit someone with emphazema. My mother died of that in november. When he saw what his gram went through he never smoked again.
    dawn440

Answer by dawn440 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• No, You wouldn't be able to tell if your kids were smoking even if you dont! I got away with it for a long time... .and both my parents are NON smokers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Nobody smokes anything here,I bet I would know,I have a nose like a bloodhound.I can smell smoke when my neighbors open their door,and they are across the street lol
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:32 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• A dentist can tell....just ask the dentist next time your children have appointments.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• you can get drug tests at walgreens!!!
    as for cigarettes- i think asking a dentist is a wonderful idea
    KITTYLITTLES

Answer by KITTYLITTLES at 12:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• well, i'm sure i'll catch some flack, but i started smoking when i was 11, and am still trying to quit. though i haven't had one in 5 weeks and 3 days, i still want it!!!
    any way, my parents did not know until i was about 19, and neither of them smoke, but they did before i was born- so they SHOULD have known.

i think i smoked pot for the first ime when i was 12- yes, again, i know i'll catch some flack. but i'm just being honest. i did A LOT of drug "experimenting" as a young teen, right up until i became pregnant with my dd.
    looking at my grades, the people i hung out with, the clothes i wore, my general appearance/attitude, you never would have known it, no one did. those things are not always determining factors... if you should EVER suspect, the buy a drug test. they're about $12-25 (depending on what you're testing for)- thats how i caught my soon to be ex... you can even buy them at the grocery store pharmacies
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I have no issues with going through my children's stuff and as they get older, they will be informed of this. Once they move out of my house they may do whatever and Mom won't be around to save them from it. BUT. If you live in my house, there are rules. And if you break the rules, there will be consequences. And if I suspect that you are breaking rules, I will go out of my way to find out. I really hope my kids and I are close enough to talk about this stuff, but knowing how I was as a teen, I doubt it will happen.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 1:50 PM on Mar. 11, 2009