• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my cervix to lower?

I am 39 weeks along and when I was checked yesterday I found out I am 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced, BUT my cervix is still quite high. I guess it should lower before I go into labor. How can I get this to happen? So far I've only been able to find natural ways to help me dilate and such, but not actually lower the cervix. Is there anything to do other than wait?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's just one of those things that you have to wait for. As you continue to dilate, it will move down and forward, but you'll need to have some effective contractions for that to happen. Walking can help though, it'll help the baby move down and put pressure on your cervix. It gives you something to do too! Hang in there and congratulations!
    Evies_Momma

Answer by Evies_Momma at 10:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I recently went through this problem, in fact my son was just born in January. Unfortunately all of the techniques out there are more for dilation than anything. The most you could do at this point is walk because it applies pressure but don't get your hopes up. I walked like crazy and it didn't work. My son was born at 41 weeks, just one day before the doctors were going to induce. I wish I had a better answer because I was very frustrated when it happened to me. Hang in there, it will be over soon.
    kimbola813

Answer by kimbola813 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2009