How can I potty train my 2-year-old son?

I started training my son when he turned two. He did really well and even went to his potty by himself a couple of times. Now he has no interest three months into the training. My mother-in-law suggested I use training pants instead of pull ups so he can feel when he is wet. He fully understands the potty and it appropriate use, he is either stubborn or too busy to care lately. Please help this is my first time doing this and I don't want to get frustrated and quit or delay his progress.

kimbola813

Asked by kimbola813 at 10:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have girls,but I do in home daycare,and the way I trained both boys,I would put a fruit loop in the potty,and make a game out of it,to see if they could pee on the fruit loop,I kept a container of assortred small candy or stickers on the back of the commode,and if they done it they got to pick out something.This worked for me,so good luck,rewarding is the best.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• The biggest mistake I've seen that parents make is to expect a young child to tell mom when he or she needs to go. While kids will do this in the very early days of learning - they stop doing it once the newness and excitment wears off. Why? Because they learn VERY quickly that telling "Momm, I need potty" or answering "YES" when you ask them means they have to stop playing and leave their toys. So first off, do not expect him to ask you, answer "yes", or even go on his own for months or possibly YEARS.
    I suggest you do a couple things:
    (1) Put him in training pants as suggested or let him run bottomless. For me, the training pants didn't hold anything in and caused diaper rash so I opted for bottomless.
    (2) Simply take him every hour, all day long. Once he gets the idea and is accident free between potty trips, switch to every 2 hours. Do this until he starts going on his own AND is still accident free.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I think 2 is a little young to be honest. Some kids are ready for it & some aren't at that age. Definitely letting him go bare-buns or in training pants is the best idea. Also like the pp said don't ask "do you need to go to the potty". Inevitably he will say no, no matter if he's about to pop with pee-pee. The best thing to do is say "ok it's time for a potty break, lets go". Here you aren't giving him the opportunity to say no. Also if he has an accident don't be hard on him. You can gently remind him that when he needs to go that he should tell mommy, and now because he didn't mommy has to help him clean up. Then encourage him to help you with the mess. And of course when he does use the potty give him tons of praise. Potty training (in most cases) takes lots of time & patience. Some children do great for a while & then revert a bit. It's perfectly normal. The trick is to be encouraging, but not pushy.

MamaApio

Answer by MamaApio at 2:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2009