when to feed solid foods?

kimbemat

Asked by kimbemat at 10:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I smell another debate....

I waited until 6months and it was much easier for my kids to grasp the new concept. They don't NEED baby food until after 6 months. Rice cereal is empty calories and does not fill the baby up so they sleep better.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• It is going to depend on your baby. My son started with frozen bagels at 7-8 months. It helped his teething and by the time it had thawed out it was mush enough for him to swallow. From 7-10 months he had cherrios and things like that and we would leave a little more texture in his food. At 10 months he was eating solid foods completely.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:35 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I say, best to wait until at LEAST 6 mos. Others say differently.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• every mom is different.. every child is different.. i started our son on cereal at 3 months 3 weeks. he loved it. I was clued in to when we were eating he would open his mouth.. LOL so i got him a little bit of cereal.. he loved it. From there til about 5 months he just had cereal once a day, pretty soupy. Then at 5 months we started veggies stage one. Loved them... then fruits, he's now 8 months, and eats stage 2 and 3's and bits of things off our plates.. he loves gerber puffs and is great at picking them up and putting them in his mouth.. very excited about that.. takes a bit of coordination..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:39 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• 6 months. That is when thier digestive systems are ready for solids.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• That's up to you.

For us, we started at 4 months, started introducing table and finger foods at 6 months and they were on all table foods at 9 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:42 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We started Rice cereal at 4 months, other foods at 6
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:56 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I started about 6 months, did not get into constistency until 8 months
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 11:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Every baby and every mommy is different. I think the best time is the time mommy and baby choose. Not what other moms say or doctors or whatever. I truly believe that in almost all cases mommy knows best.

The AAP does recommend starting at 4-6 months. Some moms wait longer, some start sooner. Are they bad moms? Of course not, they are using they mommy instincts to decide-not a piece of paper, book, or another mom's instincts.

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Solids.htm

Good luck!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).
    Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2009