Weight? 8 year old

I have an 8 year old(she has ADHD if that matters) who is starting to gain a lot of weight I make very healthy meals and she doesn't get junk food(snacks are fresh fruit and granola bars mostly). She recently started public school and no longer gets to excercise she did when she was homeschooled. I've thought of taking her back out since her behavior and eating habits are suffering but she likes it. She must have put on a good 15 pounds since November(when she started school). I don't really know why she is eating so much now. She gets home and wants a snack then dinner and more snacks. She'll also try to get extra helpings of dinner. I have tried cutting down on what she eats but I've found the she goes to the kitchen at times without asking. Any ideas? Can someone recomend a good book on nutrition? I have an appointment for her to see a nutritionist on Monday as well. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• how long was she homeschooled?

if she's ADHD then ODD goes hand in hand... she may very well be having other issues that are beyond the physical/nutritional. food is often a struggle with kids regardless, but when they feel that they do not have control over other things they'll often use food, be it a reduction in what the consume or when, or to the excess.

the other thing to take into account is that when a little girl has a hormonal shift towards puberty their bodies put on more weight in preparation for the growth and physiological changes that are going to take place. 15 lbs in a few short months does seem excessive though. if you're concerned with excess snacking, then try getting snacks that she CAN grab without asking, like fresh fruit and making it available whenever she wants. the bottom line, if you don't buy it, she can't eat it. try not providing excess carbs from grain outside of scheduled meals...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Could she be emotional eating? How does she feel about regular schoolwork vs. homeschool work? Does she feel it's more stressful, or harder, or anything like that. That's my first thought when reading what you wrote, is that she's eating due to stress. I know you say she likes it, but maybe the part she likes is the socialization, the being in a room with all these other kids, but the schoolwork is stressing her out. Or it could be the other way around: the schoolwork is great, but she's stressed about making friends. Otherwise, the only other thing I can think of is when does she go to lunch? My kids eat breakfast before school, but lunch is so early they're still full from breakfast, so they come home, want a snack, then have dinner, then want another snack, b/c they basically went all day with not much to eat since they don't eat at lunch.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• tropicalmama has a valid point, thre reason i was curious about how long she was h-s is because i was- the whole way through highschool. i still find situations with a lot of people stressful... getting her socialized at this age will prevent some of the anxieties i still have where people are concerned. and PS is great for that!

perhaps she needs a good outlet??? MAKING time to do physical things, particularly something that she likes a lot? my DD can't sit still when she gets home from school because she's been so inactive all day. it's a hard transition to being at a desk all day, i remember what it was like when i went to private school briefly.

we're at the other end of the weight spectrum trying to get her to gain. she's 8 (almost), is 4'5" and weighs 51 lbs... i'm glad i know how to sew or all of her clothes would fall off! her two year old brother weighs 34lbs... geez..
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• She was in public school for part of Kind and taken out because of her issues and her not learning. She was socialized before this. She was part of large homeschool groups as well as classes with other kids. She isn't worried about that, she really likes it! It may well be the work, she's never had such a chunk of her life devoted to work. While she did plenty at home it wasn't 6+ hours plus homework. ANd there really isn't time for a lot of physical stuff. She doesn't get home until 4:15. Does homework for about an hour. We eat at 6. We get done at 7:00 and we have to get ready for the next day at 8:00. She isn't ODD as she had no issues at home. She was very obedient before I put her back in school. She just has attention issues and problems sitting for long periods. All her snacks are things she can generally just grab but she is gaining anyway. I'm really confused
    Anonymous

• What does she eat at school and how much, the reason I ask that is I,ve seen my son,s cafe and they get a tray and get what they want to eat, its like a buffet, maybe she is eating a lot at lunch time, maybe gettint too full to play and run around at recess. My son is 7 and he weighs 92lb, I,ve also cut back and he eats more fruits, theres too much junk out there for kids to get ahold of.Here where the high school is they took out all venders and junk from these kids but get this they are allowed to leave school property and go to the NEAREST gas station and but all the pop and candy bars they want,,,,how stupid is that. Also have her dr check her out too,her body is constantly growing and changing and maybe now her body is lacking someithing it needs, any diabeties run in your family?
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2009