Head Injuries - what to watch for?

My 10.5 mo. old is pulling up all the time and cruising around furniture. It is only a matter of time before she starts walking. Needless to say, she falls several times a day and sometimes hits her head pretty hard. What should I be watching for in terms of serious head injury? Symtpoms? What part of your head is the most/least likely to cause injury? Is there anything I can do after she hits her head other than give her a big hug and kiss? i.e. Motrin to help prevent swelling? She has never cried for more than a minute afterwards...I just worry that one day she is going to hurt herself. Thanks!

ANGIE409

Asked by ANGIE409 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check that the pupils dilate EVENLY.
    Check that there is either a bump or no bump...but if it caves in, get her in!! If it feels like cottage cheese, get her in!!
    Try to put ice on it for about 20 minutes (yeah, right....lol)
    If it's a really hard hit, go in every couple of hours to make sure she stirs. You don't have to wake her, just make sure she stirs.
    Watch for vomiting or diarrhea for the following 48 hours.
    If she is knocked out at all...take her in.
    You can give her tylenol for pain if she acts like she has a headache.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:33 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• No motrin. It thins the blood and causes bleeding. Ice. Consider head injuries of all kinds dangerous and google the symptoms to watch for. I was one who blew off head bumps, but turns out I was not correct on all of them. Homeopathy offers some good ones for treating brusing and swelling. :) HTH
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• watch for dialated pupils, unsaual behaviour, lethargy, or anything that is just not "right" with your child
    i just hit my head the other day (HARD) and the ER dr told me to use advil or tyenol for pain, nothing else, cause it would put me to sleep. the problem with giving babies either of those, is they STILL put babies to sleep, so you can't really give her any pain meds for 24 hours afterwards.
    if she is acting sleeply after she jits her head, go to the ER right away! also if she hist her head really hard, you'll have to wake her often to make sure she CAN be woken up
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Aspirin thins the blood, Motrin which is a brandname of ibuprofen does not. I know this because I have to take it to help with heavy bleeding with my period.
    Ibuprofen reduces menstrual bleeding by decreasing the production of substances called prostaglandins.
    anyway, here;s a link that may help you:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_head-injury-concussion_11257.bc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Motrin DOES thin the blood... but not the same as asprin. And it's used a different way for AF... it's to help slow the flow.

Tylenol can be given... and ice pack probably would feel better though.

Watch for vomiting and difficulty waking up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2009