Any tricks to getting meds in an infant?

After rushing my daughter to the ER (7 1/2 months) yesterday after she turned blue on me, she has pneumonia. We have to give her two meds (both oral liquids) and she clamps her mouth shut and if I can pry her mouth open by baiting her with the pacifier, she gags when it goes in and up it comes. She is just done with meds, as she has been pumped up with them for two weeks and she hasn't felt better (because she was not diagnosed correctly until yesterday). Any helpful tricks to get them to take it? I was thinking I could mix it in her bottle, but not sure if you can do that with antibiotics. Thoughts?

rabbate

Asked by rabbate at 11:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call and ask about mixing it in her bottle. Thats how I gave gas drops and Tylenol to my DD when she was 4-5 months old. So long as they drink the whole bottle I don't see why not. Just call the pedi office and ask.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• If you blow in their face their mouth will open. Also, sometimes you can offer the person helping you some and they act like it is soooo good then sometimes babies will take it. I wouldn't mix it in her milk cause then she may decide her milk is bad and quit taking it. You could mix it w/ other things, pudding, applesauce, something non essential to her diet. Good luck. Hope you get lots more helpful suggestions.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• they also have special bottles and pacifiers that allow the baby to eirther drink or suck contentedly while you adminster the meds. with the bottle version, it doesn't matter if she drinks the whole bottle or not, cause the meds are NOT mixed in, it's seperate
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 11:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Medicine dropper into the side of the mouth...between the cheek and teeth.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I would NOT mix it with any food. For 2 reasons... 1, she has to finish the entire bottle to get the dose... so a whole bottle of yucky stuff! and 2... if she thinks you are putting icky stuff in her food then she might stop eating too!
    I would call the doctor and see about different meds. I am betting she might be on an antibiotic and possibly a steroid. They might have something that tastes better (some antibiotics and if she is on prednisone.. taste AWFUL!!!! they make better tasting stuff) , can be given less often or for a shorter time period, a more concentrated amount

As far as getting it into her... squeeze her cheeks so she makes a fishy mouth... and put small squirts in her mouth while blowing fast puffs of air at her face... this helps make a pocket in her mouth so she can spit it out as well and causes a swallow reflex

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:43 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I use a bottle I got from the drugstore that has a tube in the middle for a syringe. You just slowly dispense the meds while the baby is drinking. Works great!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:44 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I got a miniature bottle at Wal-mart that works great. ($2.00) It has a regular size nipple on the end of it with a tiny bottle (with measuring lines on the side) so you can poor the meds into it , close it and give it to baby like you would a bottle. The nipple method is great because it bypasses most of baby's taste buds. You can do the same thing with a regular nipple (just dispense drugs into the nipple) but if they push it away, you could spill.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• OHH I l loved the medi-paci. My son took it no prob. Its just a paci that you can put meds in and baby will generally take it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:53 AM on Mar. 17, 2009