When is the best time for a child to lose the bottle and start trying to drink from a sippy cup?

my son is 9 months old. i already tried to give him the cup but he refuses to take it. should i keep trying or wait it out?

ArmyWife1769

Asked by ArmyWife1769 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• introduce them to him he will let you know when he wants it.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I started mine at 6 moths with a soft sippy....put only juice or water in it not the formula. Never put the juice or water in the bottle...It worked for me...Mike was totally off of the bottle by 9 months
    PunkinLPN

Answer by PunkinLPN at 2:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• All 5 of our kids were off the bottle and on sippy cups by the age of 1. It took hard work, but they learned.
    crbloom

Answer by crbloom at 2:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• A year old is usually the guideline to attempt the switch .... but do it whenever it works for you all.
    ILoveMyJason

Answer by ILoveMyJason at 2:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• i started a sippy cup around11 to 12 months. so 1 year is about the usual time most moms start.
    rissa_mommyof2

Answer by rissa_mommyof2 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My doctor told me they should be off the bottle by one. I agree with the mom above. Never put juice or water in the bottle only in a cup
    CharlotteluvsJ

Answer by CharlotteluvsJ at 2:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My son is 8 monthes old now we introduced the sippy when he started holding things at about 5 1/2 monthes. He drinks his formula from a bottle still though. We will take the bottle away completly by about 10 1/2- 11 monthes! Hope this helped out!
    GabbyP.

Answer by GabbyP. at 3:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• keep tring. The more you inturduce it to him the more he will like it. It just takes time.
    Cozzens

Answer by Cozzens at 3:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I started introducing the sippy cup to my girls when they started eating solids. I always put it on their highchair tray. Of course, they had no idea what to do with it at first, but they got used to it. I did put breast milk or formula in it. I didn't give them juice until MUCH later. They were both off of a bottle by 1 year.
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 4:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• DD was 8 months when she transitioned cold turkey DS is almost 6 months and I just purchased him his first Nuby today and he refuses almost to take it. Try offering it to them once or twice a day with solids and they will catch on. From my experience the Nuby's that you can buy at Wal-Mart for a buck are the best starter cups. They have the silicone top which is similar to a baby bottle so baby tends to take to it better than having a hard spout which is a totally different texture offered.
    Jessicaandelzie

Answer by Jessicaandelzie at 4:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008