My eldest stepson has Asperger's, but my husband is in denial - what can I do?

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• ahh denial. THat sucks. I wish I had answers for you. I can find out one I speak to my therapist friend tomorrow if you like! My cousin went threw this with her son and husband as well.

Answer by Jgirl at 1:45 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• There's an HBO special that came out about Asperger's - actually following chilren around. Maybe he'll see some similarity in your stepson's behavior if he watches that.

Answer by Caiged at 1:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I try to involve my sons dad in his care such as therapies . That is someting they have to come to on their own . It just makes it tougher on u s.

Answer by angeleyesm at 7:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• try to politely show a contrast whenever possible with other kids his age and maybe keep a journal and talk to him when he is in a really good mood.

• Hi,
    I work at Developmental Pathways and one of my clients has Aspergers syndrome and you need to learn all you can, your husband does not need to except the disorder only his daughter. I find with my client I care the person first the disorder is 2nd. Good luck, you can always contact me anytime I would help anyway.

Answer by rosetoes at 5:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Sorry I meant your son.

Answer by rosetoes at 5:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I have Asperger's. I only recently found I'm still in the process of understanding how it effects me....but what about educating your DH on the positive things that Asperger's can cause? Like the fact that it usually means the child is very smart, for one. To me, there are some negative things about it, but I would not want a cure really. It's strange to me to find out that many of my opinions on things are the result of a "disorder". I really don't see it as a disorder so much. It seems like a natural variance in personality.

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2009