child safe room fragrance/fresheners???

any suggestions for room fresheners, i usually have plug ins which i LOVE..... what can i do to get a nice aroma in my home?? i love vanilla .... i miss having a fresh home. (it smells clean) but i'd love something more. however - i have a toddler... ???

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would use your plug in's, but put them in a upper outlet that they can't get to. Like on the kitchen counter or in the bathroom outlets.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I use them in the livingroom and bathroom but I don't put one in Baby Bear's room.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I save orange peels, apple cores and buy cinnamon, nutmeg and clove from the dollar store. I have a cute old timey pot I keep on the stove that I put a few peels and a core in and a dash of each spice. Turn the heat as low as it will go and leave it on, refilling water as it evaporates. Your home will smell like apple pie plus it will put alittle moisture in the air which is great for sinuses and skin :) Try it once and you'll be hooked!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 12:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Love the first answer too! Good thinking!
    TessaBianca

• Plug-ins are actually a huge fire danger. My husband and I have some friends who are fire-fighters and they said they have seen a lot of fires from those things. I use reed diffusers but I put them up where my son can't get to. He has shelves in his room that are out of his reach that we have decorations on. I just put reed diffusers in there and it works wonders! I also have them in other rooms of our house in places he can't reach.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 12:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• A while back, Glade had some air fresheners they voluntarily recalled due to a "potential" fire hazard. The problem was corrected and now the fresheners are not a serious fire hazard. Any electrical device can cause a fire under the right circumstances after all! Maybe that is what they were talking about. You don't have to worry about the air freshener burning your house down any more than you have to worry about your TV or cell phone charger causing one :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 1:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Tessa, what happens is the stuff inside starts to dry out. That's just the way they work. Well, when it starts to dry out, it gets hotter than it can handle and can cause the plastic case the fragrance part is in to start melting. That gets into the heating element and causes a fire.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Wow! That does sound dangerous! Do you have a link to the article?
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 6:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2009