how does ur 2 0r 3 month old baby sleep?

on his/her back..side?
My son hates sleeping on his back he sleeps about 20mins on his back and that's it lolz and he hates sleeping on his sides. I don't want to but him on his stomach when its time for me and everyone to sleep so we put him in his swing to sleep ={

effie777

Asked by effie777 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A lot of people would disagree with me, but I put my dd on her tummy at about that age. She could lift her head and turn it side to side so I knew SIDS wasn't as much of a issue. I talked with my pedi about it and he said it was okay. I would talk with your pedi about it before trying, that way you have some peace of mind.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• All three of mine slept on their tummies from almost day one home.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My daughter sleeps on her tummy, she has since about six weeks. She'll be 11 weeks old on Friday.

I know most will disagree with me on this practice, though, and I don't recommend it unless it's a last resort. Like kboney's baby, my daughter has fantastic head control and tosses and turns whenever she needs to on her belly. She would ALWAYS get startled on her back, so now she sleeps in the bassinet beside me on her belly. She sleeps all night, she has since I started putting her on her belly.

I know they say to put babies on their backs only, but you really gotta do what's right for you and your baby. Most of us were put on our bellies as babies because that's what doctors said. Once upon a time they thought it was HORRIBLE to put babies on their backs to sleep because of the potential risk of them choking on spit-up.

But yeah. Do whatever you have to =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We had the same problem with our twins (9weeks yesterday). My SIL told us about those swaddlers and our babies sleep great that way. Our baby boy wants to be in our room in the portable crib, his sister actually sleeps in their room. We put them on their side with a blanket rolled up behind them and a handtowel folded in half in front away from their faces and they seem to do pretty well like that. I don't know if that might be an option to try swaddling your baby, but it might work.
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I had to really think about this question after I read it. It seemed like my son never slept at that age. We let him sleep in his playpen in a boppy pillow for awhile, then when that stopped working we put him in his swing, then in his carseat, we tried his bassinet, finally we let him sleep with us on his side. He hated being on his belly he screamed the whole time, and when i'd lay him on his back in his own bed he'd wait until I had just sat down and scream. Sleeping on his side worked for a few months and then he started sleeping on his back again.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 1:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• well at 1st he did sleep on his sides [ I had that thing that u just place them in the middle of it so they wont roll over] he he loved it at 1st now he hates it and his stomach oh please lolz he hates tummy time and when I roll him over to sleep on it umMmmM..no he yells so much. I guess I have to keep tryin to put him on his back until he likes it. Thanks everyone for your answers!
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My son could roll on to his belly at 2 1/2 months old...so he slept and still sleeps on his belly. When my daughter was a baby (She's 19 years old now), experts agreed that putting babies on their bellies was best to prevent SIDS. THEN it changed to their SIDE and companies began manufacturing pillows to force the baby on his side. NOW they say back is best...but gosh, really it's a gamble. Sadly, babies have died laying on all sides of their bodies. It is simply the incidence of SIDS with babies sleeping on their bellies has been significantly higher. Until experts discover what TRULY causes babies to die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, there are no true hard and fast RULES. Sometimes people die for no apparent reason, and most unfortunately, sometimes these people are babies.
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My 3 mth old sleeps on his belly some of the time. I can't get him to sleep any other way, he'll wake up. So most of the time he sleeps in the carseat because he has reflux and Im so nervous letting him sleep on his belly when it's time for bed
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 2:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My 3 1/2 month old has been sleeping on his stomach since about a week after we got home from the hospital. And since I put him on a schedule at 2 months, he sleeps from about 9-930pm until between 7-830am. I tried swaddling at first but he likes his arms up by his face and would wiggle out of it. And as time went by I couldn't swaddle him, PERIOD. And he's also had wonderful neck control since birth basically. Good luck.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 2:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Yea thats like me I could put my baby to sleep flat on his back when I am tryin to go to bed but I dont wanna the chance and lose sleep. I really dont sleep much with him he wakes up every 2-3hrs and with my 1st son he slept on his sides and back and slept 8hrs cents he was 2 weeks[but I had to set an alarm because he was still to young sleeping that long [so the pedi. says]
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2009